1940's Policeman

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Author
      Caroline
      Participant
      P Marione
      Blocked

Good picture. I find it just a little “flat”, specially the face.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Hi, @carolinen, please tell us a little about how you took the shot, camera settings and anything you would choose to improve……thanks

Jonathan
      Participant

Is this posed? What’s the story behind it? Is it a restoration?

On it’s own it’s kind of ho hum, but if there’s more too it that may make a difference.

Caroline
      Participant

is there anything i could do editing wise to make it not as flat. thanks

Caroline
      Participant

i was at 1940’s re enactment and was taking his picture, when he saw me he came over and asked if i wanted one of him smiling and this is what i got. i have edited it, was more in the backgroung but sky was blown out, so just thought i would mess around with it to see what i could get out of it cos i liked the character.

Caroline
      Participant

was just taken at a 1940’s re enactment and would welcome any advise on how to make it better will let you know setting later
      thanks

P Marione
      Blocked

what I would use and old photo of NY blurred as background.

Caroline
      Participant

thanks will try something like that, just got to try and figure out how to do it new to all this

P Marione
      Blocked

As your background is white, it would not be difficult to cut it out with the pen tool in PS for example or adding a mask. Then you add a layer behind with the background. There is plenty of free old images on the web if you don’t have one.

e.w.
      Participant

I love this photo. He looks like a 1940s Cop.
      I think, to look authentically correct, he looks fine. Just need the old blurry city 1940s or earlier background.

At re-enactments, be it Renaissance, Civil War, etc, the characters play up their parts and want their photos taken… that’s why they are there. If YOU go in costume, you may win a prize.

Caroline
      Participant

thank you for that I will have a look and see what I can find and have a go.

Caroline
      Participant

thanks for your comments I am going to attempt putting a background on, once I have done it will put photo back on.

Caroline
      Participant

sorry took so long to get back to you. was took with pentax KR on manual and in raw,shutter speed 1/100, f/6.30, iso 100 and focal length 18mm.

Caroline
      Participant
      Caroline
      Participant

don’t know if this is any better. couldn’t find any thing else to use as background and if i enter it for our club competion it as to be my own work. just used a background from elements.

P Marione
      Blocked

Not a good idea. Why don’t you just take a picture of a wall yourself. Must be interesting walls near you.

Caroline
      Participant

not something i have looked at or even thought about, but will be doing now thanks

Caroline
      Participant
      P Marione
      Blocked

Background seems better but the pic is VERY small !!!
      Did you really cut the top of his cask ?

Caroline
      Participant

no don’t know what happened to it will try and put it on again

Caroline
      Participant

its seems okay in my albums but not when I put it on here

Caroline
      Participant
      P Marione
      Blocked

That’s better.
      I find that your man looks too cropped now. I think you must add contrast and reduce exposure on the wall so that it falls in the same game of BW as your subject ; it’s too grey. The depth will come from the blur.
      And you can play with the edge of the man (refine edge in PS) so it blend better with the background.
      IMO at last.

Caroline
      Participant

thanks for that will have another a look at it probably be another few weeks before I get round to it lol

Caroline
      Participant
      Caroline
      Participant

in urgent need of a black and white pic for tomorrow will appreciate any help with this pic thank you very much

P Marione
      Blocked

That’s better but the background is still to grey (IMO┬░

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

How about some camera shake so it really looks like it’s from the 40’s ‘-)

Fred Furze
      Participant

Love this character and his costume! I agree with that what is missing is something in the background. Not necessarily interesting, but something that gives the feeling that he is not posing in front of a white background, and something preferably urban. I like the brick background of all these the best, but the lighting doesn’t match the lighting on the cop. Great pic!

Caroline
      Participant

how would I do that?

Caroline
      Participant

thankyou, have you any ideas on how to match the lighting

P Marione
      Blocked

increase the contrast and reduce the exposure

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

I have never done it but I know it can be done in several ways. It goes against the grain to not have something as sharp as possible but this looks to perfect for an oldie but a goodie. @pmarione is a Photoshop expert and he might be able to help you.

Fred Furze
      Participant

Hi @carolinen . It looks like light is coming from behind the cop. You can see light on the back of his shoulders, and the edge of his hat, and his whole front is in shadow. So maybe find an urban image that is very bright or overexposed for the background. All you need is a little texture behind him, but whatever it is it needs to feel like it is in the direction of the source of light, otherwise the lighting gives away the effect. After that it is just a matter of adjusting that background until it feels perfect to you.

Caroline
      Participant

thanks for that, will look into it further

Caroline
      Participant

thanks will try that

Caroline
      Participant

thank you will have another look at him

Caroline
      Participant
      Caroline
      Participant

Any better? I really appreciate everyone’s help with this and I am doing my best to follow what advise I have been given. but still only learning with elements and some things I find hard to follow. You must all be sick of seeing him by now lol. I will get him right eventually.

Fred Furze
      Participant

Yes, I think lighting wise that is better, but I still think that the background is not urban enough. Better, though.

Caroline
      Participant

thanks, will have another look

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author