Abandoned House f/13 1/800ss 1600 iso 55mm on efs55-250 lens

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Feedback Forum Abandoned House f/13 1/800ss 1600 iso 55mm on efs55-250 lens

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Dorothy
      Participant

this picture was taken from the road, the house sat on a hill but was fenced off and had no trespassing signs so i parked and walked as close as the fencing allowed. it was a dreary day and it screamed Spooky.  the original had a bluish tint but that was ok because i wanted to take it to b&w then i tried a sepia tint and found i liked both then i added a little vignette and i think the b&w ended up with a spooky feeling and the sepia ended up with an old vintage feeling.

any thoughts on enhancing those two different feelings?  also, ST away!  i am still trying to find what i am good at and what gives me joy.

original:Abandoned House orig

Dorothy
      Participant

b&wAbandoned House b&w

Dorothy
        Participant

b&w with vignetteAbandoned House b&w vignette

Dorothy
      Participant

tintAbandoned House tinted

Dorothy
        Participant

tint with vignetteAbandoned House tint vignette

Graham Hart
      Participant

I think B&W would be my choice for this image Dorothy. Also, I would have zoomed in a bit more to declutter the image and pull the focus more clearly onto the house. It kind of takes a back seat in this pic. Here’s a quick edit with the vignetting you suggested, a tighter crop to put the house in the Rule Of Thirds spot and some light layering.

Dorothy
        Participant

Thanks Graham: (and billyspad, David Watkins, Dahlia Ambrose)  This is more what i was working towards. Taking out the gate and 3rd cropping helps a lot.  i  did do a little vignetting (2nd b&w) but it was a little too subtle. that said i think i will try with a little less vignetting than this but definitely more than i did along with the cropping.  it really helps to see what is being suggested looks like.  Thanks again.

Dorothy
        Participant

Hi Graham:  As this was ST listed this week i was reviewing comments and realized i had done something i get really upset about. If someone takes time to send a text or email or even letter the recipient should read it all.  i did not. 🙁  so now i have to ask a question, if you don’t mind.  When you commented and described what you did i totally missed the very last item, ‘some light layering’ and wondered if you could let me know what you meant by that.  Thanks.

Graham Hart
          Participant

Hi Dorothy, by light layering I actually meant ‘layering of light’. It was a quick and ready edit just to show you the idea. Using a brush on the ‘burn’ setting, I dabbed here and there to create the darker shadowed areas and then with a larger brush, lower opacity and larger feather I darkened the sky which was a bit bright to add a gloomy overcast to the scene. I then switched to the ‘dodge’ setting and brightened up the house a bit to lift it out of the gloom. Layers of light 🙂

billyspad
      Blocked

Graham crop is about right but for me needs some more light introduced to make the house stand out more.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I like Grahams crop that eliminated the metal gate  and brought the house in closer. At first I thought I’d like it with less branches blocking the view. A point of view where the branches can be used to frame the house instead of covering it. On the other hand this shot gives the viewer a kind feeling that he/she’s hidden. Not wanting to be seen by who or what might be inside such a spooky place. 🙂

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Dorothy, I like the mood the image evokes. I like how Graham has cropped the image but with less vignette 🙂

Dorothy
      Participant

Graham Hart, Dahlia Ambrose, billyspad and Dave Watkins:  This is what i ended with. Thanks all.Spooky House

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Hi Dorothy, this final version looks truly eerie, so mission accomplished 🙂

Dorothy
        Participant

Thank you Jasenka!

Frank
      Participant

Definitely B&W and cropping out the guard rail looking fence, and giving it the dark look like Graham and your last entry.  Here I went with the “monochrome selection” in ACR also including a sepia glow. And, one way to add a vignette is to use the radial tool in ACR (icon is an oval) and place it around the area you want to brighten (be sure “outside” is chosen near the bottom of the choices column.)   Then play with the exposure slider to darken whatever is outside the dotted-lined  circle, creating the vignette effect.   Chose “inside” and whatever is inside the dotted line will be effected.  The dehaze slider will also darken or lighten the effected area.   (I wonder if you could have include the rusty No Trespassing sign?)

spooky house

Dorothy
        Participant

Cool Frank. i will definitely try the radial tool in ACR and will see if i can’t work that sign back in.  love all the ideas i get here!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author