Actor Headshots

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Actor Headshots

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Hart 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

chris pook
    Participant

Home for a few days.  Actor pal of mine asked for a headshot refresh.  We had fun with it.  For me, with his beard, everything we did makes him look like a Viking.

374A9524-Edit

Canon 5D3, EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM, 1/400 Sec at f / 2.8, ISO 100.

Edited in LR.  Auto correct on tone, medium contrast on Tone Curve.  Sharpening at 25/1.0, Masking at 89.  All from habit really, no thought.  Converted to BW in Silver FX Pro.

I like it, and think it has some character, but it is probably not a great actors headshot.  We did some colour as well, which are probably more useful.

What do you all think?

Click to flick, if half an interest;  https://www.chrispookphotography.co.uk/UK/HeadshotsMar2019/

beth
    Participant

not usually a fan of people, but this i like.  the grittiness and shallow dof really compliment the contrasty b&w tones.

billyspad
    Blocked

Yep Chris he has a great face to photograph. Looks truly lived in, possibly by a large family. Ideal for a nice gritty B/W conversion. For me the depth of field is too shallow here, focus on his eyes is perfect but the out of focus ears distract. The sweater he is wearing is fighting for attention with face and that’s not helped by some of the pattern being out of focus as well. A plain top may have been a better choice. The shine on his head is generally considered a no  no for portraits but looks like a bit of slick PP work can cure that

beth
      Participant

the sweater is a shemagh (a kind of scarf).  if it were a sweater i’d agree with you that it’s distracting, but that he’s wearing a shemagh tells you a bit more about who he is.  it should stay.

Richard Barnard
    Participant

Strong portrait and I like your b&w conversion here. Shadow DOF works well to keep bringing my attention back to the pin sharp eyes and I like the directness of his gaze which is very engaging.

Lots of character in the textures of his face, again complimented by the use of b&w. Perhaps a little more clarity and focus required on the beard but still an excellent portrait in my view.

John Thompson

Chris I think a black background would have made you subject stand out more.  The b&w conversion and PP seem to want a darker background.

chris pook
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Appreciated.  I will get back to you after Mothering Sunday / Wifey’s birthday.  Got a 0415  wake up for 0900 wheels up and have to be social between now and then.  ‘Put that phone down!’

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Chris, like everyone else I think we all like this head shot.  Personally I think it might be a little too direct.  I get no feeling and therefore am not drawn to this actor.  When I look at his eyes something is missing, the connection.  Even considering the type of parts he wants a little twinkle, a little insight to the man would encourage me to look at his head shot a second time.  I think as photographers we should also help our clients achieve the shot they want, maybe just by suggesting they think of something funny, or something they love, or something that makes them happy to help them let a little of themselves shine through. (no smile needed)  Hope I am not preaching to the choir, just my personal thoughts.

Dorothy
      Participant

So, I was preaching to the choir! 🙂  Just finished checking out Flickr.  Now I wonder why this was the shot you chose.  Definitely like the b&w. I actually like the b&w vs the color. There were a few others that let his personality show through that would also look great in b&w.

I think I like the first b&w in the second row even better than this one.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I’m in agreement with Richard. Excellent portrait and a superb job in the conversion.

Falxy
    Participant

Hi Chris…..yeah more than half an………face and eyes look really good………….but either 2.8 or post processing has left his shoulders looking fuzzy and bottom l/h side is a distraction.

would of preferred the subject sharp against the out of background

still nice! 🙂

Graham Hart
    Participant

I really like the grittyness of this pic Chris and I think his stare conveys a lot to any prospective talent scouts. He has a ‘Jason Statham’ thing going on.

I think John hit the nail on the head with his comment about the BG though. The darker regions of the lower third of the pic seems a little dominant and lessen the impact of the head itself. To this end perhaps a little vignetting (reflective, not radial) to better balance the lights and darks?

chris pook
    Participant

Out of interest, my pal got into Coronation Street on the back of these head shots.  Probably doesn’t mean much to non UK participants, but this is one of the longest running main street soap operas here.  (To be fair, his acting skills probably helped!). He’s only a got a few shows but it’s a good start for him.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Big feather in his and your cap Chris. Corry is well known here in Canada.

Federico Alegria
    Participant

I really like Graham’s suggestion, but I’ll get rid of the sepia tone.

chris pook
      Participant

Aaah, Federico, my friend, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and right now we are already on the Brandy and Cigars.  🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

Wow, haven’t seen this thread for a long time and I agree with you about the sepia tone Federico. Not sure what’s going on there actually because the centre of his face is B&W which fades to sepia on the outer edges?

Erik Fransman
    Participant

It’s a headshot! Period.
    I look at many actors headshots before we invite actors to a casting and this one is fine.
    Obviously, your choice to make him rough will get him certain parts. More likely a fighter or mobster than Romeo. Although these days there is a lot of anti-casting so you never know.

Good shot. It does what it has to do.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.