Advice on laptop or tablet.

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Advice on laptop or tablet.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan nicol 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Ryan nicol
    Participant

Hi. I am looking to buy a laptop or iPad for Lightroom purposes. I was wondering everyone’s opinion on what would be the best device to go for.  I am looking to spend at the most up to 1000.

Thanks for any advice.

Robert Apple

If you have a creative cloud membership then it comes down to weather your prefer to do your editing in Lightroom Classic or CC as they have a different format and capabilities. I did all my editing on a tablet with CC for several months last year and found it fairly good , but it couldn’t run full blown Lightroom, I cant recommend it for cataloging or key wording. For more detailed edits Classic is definitely better and for that you need a laptop.
    In either case a good high resolution screen is paramount.

Ryan nicol
    Participant

Hi Robert.

Thanks for the help. I was going towards another laptop as well I do prefer the Lightroom classic. My computer is just too slow for it.

Thanks.

beth
    Participant

i went with a gaming laptop last year.  nvida 10 series graphics card with a ton of video ram, lots of ram and hard drive space.  little pricey (and heavy too), but it doubles as my gaming console.

Ryan nicol
    Participant

Hi Beth. I have seen a few gaming laptops. I’m not much into the gaming side lol but how is it for the editing.

Robert Apple

Adobe, much like most computer games will use the graphics card to pick up extra ram and processing speed, therefore to a point a gaming PC works well for photo editing with Adobe products. Going to a heavily clocked mother board for serious gaming can actually slow Adobe down as well as cause problems with LR’s library sync up. So a good gaming PC is the answer, not a great one. The one thing to watch is hard drive memory as some “Gaming PCs” will sacrifice memory to lower the price to account for the better graphics card and ram.

beth
      Participant

mine runs pretty lightroom, photoshop and illustrator very well, even when i’m running them simultaneously.  my biggest issues are weight and heat.  it weighs 8 lbs and puts out enough heat (during gaming sessions) to scorch the skin, it’s cool enough for during most other tasks.  but when gaming i have to add a decent lap desk if i’m at home and have it in my lap, which adds even more weight.

Chris DeYoung
    Participant

I recently picked up a Dell G7 gaming laptop for a general purpose mobile platform; it’s okay, but quite noticeably slower than my desktop for running Lightroom (classic). I haven’t tried to do much in Photoshop on it at this point.

Another thing I notice is that the color is only okay on its display; the gamut is a little limited. It’s fine for casual work, but it wouldn’t do for serious color work unless you use a better external display.

Ryan nicol
    Participant

Thanks very much for all the feedback

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.