An Abstract Joshua

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank An Abstract Joshua

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  jack 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

John Thompson

I am always trying to present the Joshua in a different way.

I am not sure EXIF data will make a difference here but if anyone wants it just say so and I will post.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi John, sorry there were no comments earlier. Must be probably cos it was the weekend.

I like the image and the way you have post processed it John. I would suggest cropping a bit of the right so that the central part of the plant goes making it more abstract.

Also the lower part of the image looks extra bright compared to the top part. Would like to see it a bit less bright. Otherwise a great abstract image John, love it 🙂

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi John, I was just reading that all BW is abstract since we see in color. My eye is drawn to the lower right edge of the photo which seems to be the focal point. This would look good framed poster size in a professional office in Arizona.

John Thompson

Hi Lenny.  I guess your comment is true about B&W images although I have never thought of it that way.  I was worried about the focal point being off in the corner as opposed to the golden ratio but I thought it works here.  That is why I posted in the ST to see what others thought because I have not been able to trust my own judgment lately.  Perhaps I should head to Phoenix and see it I can market this!!!  Lol.

Thank you Lenny for your comments.

Tersha
    Keymaster

It works for me John, I did think the top was a bit dark, but when I looked at it larger, it seemed good as it is.

John Thompson

Hi Diane.  I like the tonality across this image.  This is actually a portion of a larger pic.  I cut one up into fours and was going to display it as four separate pics together.  Thank you for your comments.

Tom M
    Participant

Nice John, definitely something different from you, but I agree with Tersha, the top is a little dark…

John Thompson

Hi Tom.  I will work the dark areas to see how it impacts the pic.  Yes it is different but I am always trying to post something a bit different.  At least that way I can still go to my favorite place and not get boring or bored.  Thanks for commenting Tom.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

John, this is a compelling image for me, the sharp leaves look like swords on the move/taking actions…    I suggest you experiment with cropping all around, perhaps from the top a bit, down to the striped leaves and where the lighter leaf ends with the sharp black tip.  From the right, as Dahlia suggested, crop in a bit, although I really like the small leaves coming out of the center.   If you crop some off the top and make more contrast with the several leaves that are striped, then you could increase the amount of darkness in the center.   Such an interesting abstract!

John Thompson

Hi Anne.  I plan to experiment with crops on this one.  I am going to spend the remainder of the week shooting more of these to give me different looks.  We have a National Holiday mid week so I will have to work around the tourist.  I have this vision of what I want and how I want to display them.

Anne thank you for your comments.

Mariah Gauthier
    Participant

Hi John– I love how the diagonal lines of the palm are creating a visual pathway. The overlay is very interesting. I would be curious to see what the photo would look like cropped in tighter, with increased clarity to really highlight those lines and make the abstract effect even stronger. Agree with the rest of the group that the top of the photo is a bit dark, and think if you cropped off to the top of the palm on the right, the effect would be more impactful!

John Thompson

Hi Mariah.  I am experimenting with many crops with this and others I want to display together.  Thank you for your comments.

jack
    Participant

we are the supplier and manufacturer of the swords all over the world. we have an expert team to manage all the production as well as delivery of the product. we are providing good for more than 30 years. https://swordskingdom.com/captain-america-shield-red-from-movie

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.