Another try at a landscape

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Another try at a landscape

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Kent DuFault 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Still another attempt at landscape photography in Wisconsin.  

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Now you’re talking Lenny. Great image. Nothing to add for ST.

Federico Alegria
    Participant

I’m not a landscape photographer myself, but I do enjoy watching soothing landscapes. Thanks for sharing this vibrant shot Mate.

Tom M
    Participant

Ok,since this is the Shark tank here goes. The one fault I can find is below the barn and extending left and right through the image there is a white line that is quite noticeable. You just need to darken that line out. Other than that, a pretty nice image…

Petr Nowak
    Participant

I see the white line too. It’s major problem. The minor one is imho cloud behind railway sign. Otherways great image.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I guess it depends on how one sees it Lenny but I vote for keeping the light (white line) on the railway track as it adds to the image IMHO.

Steve Walker
    Participant

This is a tough one for me. To my taste, the foreground needs a bit more light in it. That might make the white line something that is interpreted more easily and less of a distraction as the viewer tries to figure out what it is. The silhouette is essential to the image so I’m not sure whether you can balance the lightening while preserving the dark.

Graham Hart
    Participant

I don’t mind the white line too Lenny but it’s angle bugs me slightly. I’d straighten it like an horizon line with a very slight rotation clockwise of the whole image. Apart from spliting that hair, the silhouette looks fantastic against those colours in the sky. Great pic mate!

John Thompson

Wow Lenny this is very nice.  If it were mine I might lighten the foreground just a bit to give some definition to whatever is there.  If it is not that interesting then I would black it our completely.  Well done Lenny!

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Well, you people are no help.  I was waiting for you to make a decision on the white line!   A coin flip?

Federico, neither am I.  I don’t have the patience.

John the foreground is absolute black.  A real landscape photographer would have set up a tripod etc. to make the shot with several different exposures.  I forced my son-in-law to stop in the middle of the road while I shot through an open window.

Steve Walker
    Participant

Since there is no detail to be retrieved, I suggest a crop to just above the track and down from the mostly empty sky, giving a 1 x 2 or 3 aspect ratio.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Steve Walker.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Lenny, I think the white line should stay, it gives a hint of light, and breaks up what would otherwise be a large patch of solid black. Just my thoughts. 🙂

Anonymous

I really like silhouette, dark, moody images like this. I agree with others, the white line must go. If it was mine, I would crop off more of the black bottom, but that’s just me.  Otherwise, Print it, Frame it. 😉

Robert Apple

Your Photo was recognized in the Members Picks Week of September 2 Forum  ⬅ Click Here

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Really captures the mood of a rural sunrise.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.