At Speed; panning shot from the races

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank At Speed; panning shot from the races

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      chris pook
      Participant

Huntingdon Races

Huntingdon Race Course yesterday.  Panning shot.

1/40th at F11, iso 100, 400mm

(70-200 2.8 + 2x extender)

Canon 5D3.  Edit in LR.

I like it.  I’m surprised how little shake there is shooting at 1/10th of the focal length.  That IS working it’s magic.

ST seems a bit quiet, thought I’d throw something in for good form.  😉

A few others here.  By and large was not feeling the photography love; just didn’t get the images I was hoping for.

https://www.chrispookphotography.co.uk/Equines/Huntingdon-Race-Course-03-Nov-2019/i-LgLRsZF

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by chris pook.
      Kent DuFault
      Participant

Hi Chris. I love panning shots, especially of fast action subjects, such as depicted in your image. One requirement to make a race panning shot great (IMO) is that some part of the image should be completely sharp. Yours lacks that. Additionally, I find the background area on the left 1/3 of the shot to be quite distracting from the subject.

chris pook
      Participant

Yes shame about that background!!  And I was almost there with the sharpness!!  Almost…..  grrr!

chris pook
      Participant

but no cigar.  lol.

(Where does that phrase come from?)

Robert Apple

I heard that story on a Paul Harvey broadcast once. It came from here in the US in the old days when Cigars were given out as prizes at carnival skill contests, such as throwing a bean bag at weighted milk bottles, or the old ring the bell by hitting a lever with a wooden sledge hammer strength contest, If you didn’t win they would call out “Close, but no cigar”

chris pook
        Participant

Cheers!  Sorry to read about your dog Robert.  I missed my last one more than some people in my family.

Robert Apple

Thanks Chris, it’s definitely left a large empty space in the Apple household.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Chris,

I like this image and the colours in it 🙂

In terms of ST feedback, I agree with Kent’s comment about a part of the image being sharp but, not being sharp does not seem a problem in this image for me. The background seems a bit distracting on the left.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

I really like this one Chris, maybe some of the distractions could be shut down simply by converting it to black and white, but I’m sure that you wont do it jaja. I do love the colours, but as Dahlia pointed out, the background is a bit distracting, but not that much.

I’d like to see that too, but the pink shirt might get a bit lost. Worth a try for sure.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.