Auckland Waterfront in a Red Bowl

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Auckland Waterfront in a Red Bowl

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Apple 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Mistyisle
    Participant

This is just a prototype, it is pretty rough in places. Did not spend too much time on the selection and I will need to photograph the red bowl again, because of the reflections etc.  I think that it has promise, so very interested in your feedback – go for it, sharks, this may well end up in a competition, so relying on you!

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

This looks rather powerful, like some clever product photography I come across every now and then.

I would take some time to work on the shadow under the bowl and make it more realistic. I also agree that with this kind of shots you have to be really careful about selection, so simply try to make it as perfect as you can. This idea works great and it’s worth efforts.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I think the idea is well worth working on Jim. Red may not be the best choice for the bowl as it’s a pretty dominant colour. Finding a background that would work as a juxtaposition would add another dimension but that would be a challenge in and of itself. It will be interesting to see how you complete this.

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Jim, the only suggestion i would make is to perhaps adjust the right bottom corner of the city so the city and water all look like they are in the bowl.  definitely keep working on it, a very cool idea.

beth
    Participant

ooh, i like this one.

definitely give the red bowl a rework, maybe add a little bit of splashing around the water’s edge (or even a waterfall/drip) so it looks like the water is moving.

i’m not sure about the bowl’s shadow, it looks like it’s floating.  with the shape of the bowl you’d have a hard, dark shadow close to the bottom where it touches the ground and a lighter, softer shadow where the bowl moves away from the ground.

also, consider changing the background color, maybe a cool grey or light blue (would let you add in some clouds to give it an even more surreal look).  the purple competes with the art.

beth
    Participant

Robert Apple

Keep going Jim, worth the effort for sure.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Jim, since you are photoshopping, I would try to find a way to make the water spill over the edge of the bowl. (I have no idea how to do that). But I think that would add to the image. I would also try to work on the buildings.
    Try to make the more realistic by adding (for example) the shadow of a cloud over them.
    Now everything is too much a maquette.
    I like your idea so keep on it!

Mistyisle
    Participant

Slowly getting there, I hope.  Many thanks for the suggestions.  Apart from those, I decided that I should lessen the height of the bowl, as it was too predominant.  However, having done so, I am having second thoughts.  Your views?

I will work more on the shadow(s) and the idea of water lapping over the edge, etc.

It is not very often that I have to look up the meaning of a word that I haven’t encountered before, because the English language is one of my few strengths, but I had to look up maquette!

Anyway, here is progress, I trust –

beth
    Participant

take another stab at the bowl shadow.  it should be darker in the center and lighter as it gets away from the bowl.

something like this: https://stock.adobe.com/ee/images/modern-ceramic-bowl-with-slope-design-shadow-and-light-from-right-side-selective-focus/133672154

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Yeah exactly, good point about shadow!

3pco
    Participant

I really like this, but I think the shadows are inconsistent. The buildings appear to be illuminated from the front, and the orange arc on the background implies frontal lighting, but the body of the bowl is in dark shadow. As Beth points out, the shadow underneath should be darker in the middle, but it should also tail off toward the rear to be consistent with frontal lighting. I would try to make the body of the bowl a low saturation green or darkish orange, maybe, and add some kind of gradient shadow to match the curvature.

Dorothy
    Participant

Looking much better, do agree about shadows and i would heal out the strings.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

I have no idea how you do any of this but I like it!

Mistyisle
    Participant

Here I am again!  I have hopefully created a more realistic shadow, what do you think please?  Also had a go at water spilling down the bowl (should have done that at the beginning – would have been SO ….  much easier!).  Also, should I put a solid thin black line around the semi-circle which houses the clouds?  Should I blur the edges of the buildings?

As always all comments welcome 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Mistyisle. Reason: To asks about possible blurring

Robert Apple

I actually like the color, the reflections on the bowl and such on your original the best, and I like the water idea, just thought of it maybe more like this, a very quick edit, clean it up maybe add some mist around the bottom get all the water flowing in a more natural direction. It also gives some of the reflections on the bowl some reference, maybe tweak those to match. A watercraft with accompanying curved wake could be fun as well. Your others two edits feel flat to me, and not a fan of the sky, loses some surrealism going that direction.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.