Bad GAS

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      chris pook
      Participant

Packing for holidays…thought I’d get all the toys out for a group photo.  My wife despairs….   All this and I use my iPhone more than anything.  Lol.  I have a fridge full of film going out of date.  Maybe I’ll take a Contax for 120 and the EOS 5 for 35mm?

A bad case of GAS...

Fridge..

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Chris! I feel better now. 😉

Tersha
      Keymaster

OMG Chris! I thought I had a few lenses, not anymore!

We should turn this into a throw Down!

LeanneC
      Participant

Too funny! It is a disease! But one we can all live with.

P71
      Participant

I think i need to lay down lol.

That is some serious glass

chris pook
      Participant

What I brought on holiday (greetings from Cyprus);

2 x Rollei 35 s / se compact film cameras.

1 x iPhone X (obviously!)

GFX50s, 110mm, and 32-64 zoom.  With a tiny flash.

Anonymous

So, Good to know I’m not the only one with this disorder 😉

Dorothy
      Participant

The Fridge comment is why i so love digital. 🙂  not only does the film go out of date, but for me i ended up never knowing what was on the roll and hated when only one photo developed.  Now all i have to do is worry about how many terabytes of storage i have. lol

chris pook
        Participant

Lol.  That’s also kind of the charm of it though?  By the time I have enough rolls to make it worthwhile buying in new chemicals I’ll have zero idea of what I’m developing.  Hopefully get some surprise happy memories!

Erik Fransman
      Participant

A long time ago I was the Dutch production manager/fixer on many Toyota commercials for the Japanese market that were shot in the Netherlands. They were shot in the Netherlands because the star of the commercial was a Japanese soccer player who played at one of the top teams in Holland.
      It was shot on 35mm film (obviously) and since we had a “Star” we could never wait for reloading a magazine so we made sure we always had at least two full 1000 ft magazines for both cameras.
      At the end of the shoot, we had at least four “recans” (film that was loaded into the magazine and not used. It was put back in the can) and two short ends (film that was left in the mag on the camera (usually almost a full roll).
      The French production company did not want to bring the film stock back to Paris so they left it with me. That was worth quite a lot. A 1000 ft roll costs now about $ 770.
      (1000 ft is approx 10 minutes of film).
      Very quickly my freezer was overloaded. I stored a lot in my parent’s freezer.
      In those days, if you made a film, before every shoot the stock was tested because often they were of different batches and you had to make sure they could be matched.

So I was overloaded with film stock, but it was not a real option just to use it because the development and printing were as expensive as the stock itself. That’s why 35 mm was usually only used for feature films, commercials, and US TV series. (They had the budget for it)
      Although stored in the freezer, it was quickly going out of date.
      I had to use it. Finally, I used it for the first lustrum of the Dutch Directors Guild.
      We decided to use all the film (all different emulsion numbers, ISO values, day and tungsten) and make a film in black and white re-enacting the founding of the Dutch Directors Guild, shot in the style of Eisenstein 1924.
      No problem that it was out of date, did not match or whatever.

So, use your rolls on something that is not critical in terms of color and sensitivity. Start a project and have fun.
      This is the link to the film we made. (I think I posted it before on this forum)
      (all the actor in this film are Dutch directors, except for the slave driver, he is a Dutch producer)

chris pook
        Participant

Being inspired by equipment I thought I’d buy a Texas Leica to help me get through that film stock… Only a photographer would buy more equipment because to solve their ‘to much stuff’ issue.  😉  Annoyingly it’s coming from Japan about a week after I head back to work, and so I won’t see it until 31st December.  That’s patience, right there!

chris pook
        Participant

How come the film is subbed in (appears to be) Russian, before being re-subbed into Dutch?

How did you get what appears to be the slightly speeded up effect in the first few scenes of people talking; looks slightly like the projectionist is cranking the handle too fast?

You pulled in lots of extras!!

Erik Fransman
          Participant

Hi Chris,

the film is subbed in Russian because we wanted it to look like Eisenstein 1924/25. (“Strike” (1924) and “Potemkin” ( Potjomkin) (1925).
          The whole film is indeed speeded up a bit, to make it look like a hand-cranked projectionist.
          Before we shot it we did a lot of test with the oldest 35mm camera’s that we could find that were still operational to try to get this effect and to make the image not 100% steady.
          Unfortunately, the Arri 2C dating from 1945/1950 that we shot it on, was rock steady. So part of it we created in the post.
          Also the “mass” scene at the end. We did not have enough directors who played the protesters so we tripled their numbers in the post.

chris pook
      Participant

Great read Erik, and a good idea!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.