Beach during sunset

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Beach during sunset

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Sarthak Choudhary 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

In Frame: Gokarna Beach, karnataka, India

It’s a panorama of two images( taken with common settings) stitched and processed afterwards in LR.

af-p 18-55mm

55mm

f/5.6

1/500s

ISO-100

"DSC_6998-Pano-1-5"

alternate edit:

"DSC_6998-Pano-1-4"

billyspad
    Blocked

Sarthak its a pleasant enough scene but does not do much to excite the senses. The beach does not look particularly inviting the sea looks like the sea and your sky has a bit of a red glow and that’s it. Maybe something in the foreground would have helped. Possibly a crop down to make it a pano but first of all straighten the horizon, you have a slope to the right. You know what you were trying to achieve and convey but to this viewer it looks like a drive by snapshot.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

I tried to level the horizon and reduce the red tint from sky, I don’t know what else I can do to make it an interesting pic.

billyspad
        Blocked

The good Lord gave you a bland sky and bad light to work with so just change whatever it needs to make it an interesting scene. New sky and light introduced plus a crop from either side so the shoreline leads the eye right through the picture.

Sarthak Choudhary
          Participant

I am not a fan of reddish skies, I can trying adding some saturation to the scene.

Btw how did you change the sky?

billyspad
            Blocked

Hya mate You cannot do it in LR. Lightroom is very limited in what it can do so move onto Photoshop and you can do what ever you like with your pictures. With this you simply select the sky and delete it. Feather the edge of the sea and mountains and introduce a new sky on a new layer under your original picture. Then a Photo Filter in the right color to make the beach match the sky. You dont like red skies! Hey you can have any color you want my man using Photoshop.

Sarthak Choudhary
            Participant

Okay.

I’ll give it a try then.

Thanks.

Frank
    Participant

Tried a more vertical crop to try to give more emphasis to the nice line of waves meeting the beach, maybe a bit more of a diagonal having the line start out of a corner.

I tried to warm it up a bit (maybe too much?) and to bring a bit more red into the sky.

Tried to level horizon

beach sunset

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

Your crop is beautiful. I usually tend to keep away from red and yellow colors.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Sarthak, I like the vibe in your beach shot. All those tiny human figures look good. In your original image, the bottom right part is a bit of a distraction as it takes away form the rest of the scene. I like the crop that Frank has done as it helps to focus more on the people, the waves and the lines that lead to the distant mountains 🙂

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hello Sarthak, I also think that Frank’s cropping looks really great.

Talking about other edits, I find both Billyspad’s and Frank’s suggestions on colors too aggressive for my taste, I wouldn’t push it that far and loose the subtlety of colors that was present in the original image.

I would go with your last edit and combine it with Frank’s cropping.

Frank
    Participant

I believe when I pushed the red to the sky it leaked over on to the beach.   I do like the soft pastel look of your original sky.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

I love faded, dark and bluish tones in images and prefer them over saturated red/yellowish ones. But I guess it’s just a matter of personal taste.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.