Biting Jumping Spider

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

On Saturday I made a new flash diffuser to allow me to use different flashes other than my ring flash.

I took it out on Sunday to look for mini beasts in the local botanical gardens. This is a biting Jumping Spider. 15mm long in total.

Olympus OM-D EM1ii, with m.zuiko 60mm f2.8 macro lens. F:2.8, 1/60 second, ISO200, Flash: Metz 52AF1 with aforementioned diffuser.

Image has been cropped.

P6140233

Jasenka G
      Participant

That’s a really great composition, I really like where you placed the spider. It’s a bit hard to critique this since the image doesn’t have any issues from both compositional and technical point of view. I guess you could have framed this scene tighter, but I still prefer it this way.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi David, love this image and the details in it. In terms of feedback, maybe slightly crop off the bottom up to where the tip of the 2 leaves meet as that point seems to take away attention from the spider, but it also looks like an area where the spider could possibly jump on to. Not sure what you think 🙂

Tobie

Lovely shot David! I’d be tempted to crop that little creature in until I look right into its eyes!

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I also feel like a tighter crop to eliminate the brighter leaf would help. There’s a lot of great detail in the spider and as it is that’s a bit lost.

Frank
      Participant

Yikes, I do not think I want to be eye level with a jumping spider.   I do not believe the brightest part of the image should be that leaf.  Remember our eyes are drawn to the brightest spot and no need for us to be looking at anything, but the insect.  The light does look diffused, so your invention is working,  and your focus is spot with your subject sharp, but maybe the flash should have been angled down at the spider.  You might try a 16:9 ratio. making the bottom line just below the leaf the spider is on.

Thanks everyone. This is what I came up with.

P6140233ST

Rob Eyers
        Participant

I prefer this version David.

My crop would have been more unconventional. I would have backed the lightness of the BG down a tad too. Different strokes for different folks.

Tobie

I’m with Rob here David. I wouldn’t place the spider in the center of the scene. Even something like this:

spider

Greg
      Participant

I like Tobie’s crop — the little varmint is undisputedly the subject and the brightest part of the picture. It just looks better when the four-eyed little monster is a bit off-center.

I settled on this:

P6140233st2

Tobie

Nothing wrong with this crop David!

Thanks all!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

David Chesterfield is an IT Manager, light painter and amateur photographer living in Brisbane, Australia. You can follow him on:
Facebook, Instagramor Flickr.