Bug Eyed

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

There is a charity that prints a calendar every year for a fund raiser here in Mazatlan. I give them several photos every year. The photos have to be 10×7, period, which can be challenging. This is one of the statues that lines our malecon (boardwalk) at carnaval every year. I’m not real happy about having to crop part of an eye for the 10×7 size but nothing else looked good. What do you think? 1/100, f8, 10mm, iso 100

beth
      Participant

no, don’t crop the eye.  maybe crop a little from the bottom to save the eye.  or use content fill to create more rocky ocean on the left side so you don’t have to crop at all.

love the bright colors and character of this guy, really great shot.

Frank
      Participant

Might have to downsize a bit to make fit an 8×10, but why not make it all about the Bug Eye?  This might not work for your calendar if it is mainly for tourists who might want to remember the building and your more exclusive view, but the locals would know where this is.  (I notice I have a tendency to cropping images, bit my bias is toward emphasizing the main subject, or what I think the subject is, and trying to eliminate other areas of the image that subtract time away from the subject.  I know with my own “travel photos”, I try to get it all in.  It is especially difficult when faced with wide angle landscapes.  I have been taught to take those types of photos, but then look for the scene within the scene.)

Lenny, As to your original question, I understand where having the whole eye would be your first choice, but it just did not fit into your desired composition.  But, I think we have enough of the eye, so that we know just what it is, and I do not mind at all that it is  a touch cut off.  So, do not crop it out, I like having both eyes.  I also understand my crop might totally not work for the scene you wanted to create for your calendar.  If I was a tourist to this location, I would have your image in my camera, but probably have close-ups of both the bug-eyed statue and probably that building, too.   One shot for the overall scene, and other shots for more specific details within the scene.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

If you have the complete eye in the original image, would anyone know the difference if you just moved the statue down Lenny. Here’s a sloppy quick edit to help me explain.

• This reply was modified 1wk, 3d ago by Rob Eyers.
      Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

This is a cheerful image Lenny. Love it. I agree with Beth about the eye. Would be great if it was in the frame 🙂

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

Lots of good ideas, thanks!

Not being able to crop to any aspect size one would like complicates things. Frank, the statues are only up for 4 or 5 weeks but the building is a well known landmark that the 1500 or so tourists that buy calendars will remember when freezing back home up north.

I totally agree about the eye. The original has the whole eye but when I used the transform/vertical tool in LR to fix the lens distortion the eye was cropped. So after reading all of the comments I re-learned how to increase the canvas size on the top and fix the distortion before cropping to 10×7. It took awhile but I haven’t been more than 3 meters from my door for 2 months so I found the time :0)

Rob, I liked your crop on the bottom but only cropped about ½ of what you did so I could keep a little more of the sea in the shot.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

forgot the photo

Patrick
        Participant

Looking great

beth
        Participant

there’s an odd black mark in the sky (top center).  other than that it looks good.

Rob Eyers
        Participant

That works Lenny. I like that you got the eye and more building in. Just curious if you used a polarizing filter. Is that what caused the shading in the sky? There’s some CA on the eyes and the building you might want to fix before you give it to them. Cheers

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

The last edit looks pretty good! I like the surreal atmosphere of this shot.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

Thanks Beth, good eye.

Frank
      Participant

Great job getting back the whole eye.  Tried to even out the blue of the sky with a blue gradient.

• This reply was modified 1wk, 2d ago by Frank.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author