Bull Riders Church

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Bull Riders Church

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ndjetfan 2 days, 21 hours ago.

• Author

ndjetfan
    Participant

going between shooting the riders and the back pens. Putting this shot in our local fair and printed it out in color and B&W. Just not sure which to use I didn’t have B&W in mind when I shot it.
    1/1600 1600iso 5.6 70-200L Canon 5div
    Bull Riders Church in color

ndjetfan
    Participant

here is the B&W Version
    Bull Riders Church

beth
    Participant

the color version works best for me, the b&w isn’t gritty enough to carry the subject matter.

great pose on the cowboy, i like the busy framing on the right.  the one thing that bugs me about this photo is the guy standing behind the cowboy.  the image would be better without him.

ndjetfan
    Participant

Yes bothers me to but gets really active behind the pens. I was surprised Sklyar even found a place to kneel

Dave Watkins
    Participant

I prefer the color version as well.

Richard Barnard
    Participant

A poignant moment captured and the details to right of frame help tell your story and provide context and nice use of shallow DOF here. I wish the clipped highlights of the hat weren’t quite so prominent. Unfortunately the person in the background kills the shot for me. The overlap means that he is just too much of a distraction. Great subject, just need to start with the background and work forward in this instance.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Of the two, I definitely prefer the color version. Like Richard, I do find the guy in the background somewhat distracting. Maybe consider reducing the color saturation and brightness level of that guy (maybe that yellow object as well)? But, even as it is. It’s a great shot filled with emotion and story!

Mistyisle
    Participant

As soon as I saw it ndjetfan, I thought B&W the answer.  However, the conversion looks a bit bland.  Before I remembered to check and found that you do not allow edits, I put into the Nik Collection, Silver Efex 2 and experimented.  If you have that plug-in or stand-alone, I would suggest either Full Dynamic(Harsh) or Wet Rocks options, but lowering the brightness in both instances.  Rather hard to say when viewing at a low resolution.  Anyway your choice of those or something else would no doubt be better.

Also, I would flip the image horizontally.

Hope you don’t mind that I have experimented, but with the best of intentions.  Have deleted the image.

ndjetfan
      Participant

Thanks I have no idea how to change that setting to allow edits. I have been asked that before and can’t seem to find the place to change it.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Hi ndjetfan,  to change, just click on your icon.  Then choose edit, et voila!  Can take a bit of finding, I agree

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Yeah, I reckon with a bit of work you could get the BW version really rocking.

Federico Alegria
    Participant

I really can’t decide whether this shot should be in black and white or color. Both work quite nice for me. I remember shooting a rodeo once, and I gave a subtle vignette to these praying scenes. It is a powerful symbol, even if you aren’t a believer. In my opinion I think that a wider shot could enhance the moment since the rider feels a little bit too squeezed into the frame.

Thanks for sharing.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Definitely the color version. In the color version, he stands more out.

The already mentionned man in the BG spoils the image for me. I keep on looking at his behind but it requires some skills to get rid of him. It is a good suggestion to lower the saturation on the man in the BG. That will help, but not solve it.

Graham Hart
    Participant

I couldn’t decide which I preferred as both versions had their positives. So I thought “What about something halfway”?

With some selective masking, I reduced the BG colour to almost monochromatic but not quite. This made the praying cowboy ‘pop’ out a bit more and reduced the attention on the BG. I also edited out the BG guy roughly and added a medium vignette to the whole pic which helped even further.

I did a quick edit and I think it works quite well (for a rough edit). I’m going to take a gamble and post the edit because you said in another response that you want to change your preference to allow edits? Hope this doesn’t offend.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

NAILED IT! Awesome job, Graham!

beth
      Participant

nice!  this is perfect.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Graham, solved it!

Mistyisle
    Participant

…………….…. or.. ?

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I don’t really see a benefit to flipping it. What is your thought on this Jim?

ndjetfan
    Participant

I have been a bit busy and finally looked at my LS. @ Graham wow looks like i need to do more work.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.