Calibrated monitors

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Falxy 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Chris DeYoung
    Participant

For those who use calibrated monitors, is this pretty much something to do once and then you’re good, or do they drift and you need to re-do it every once in awhile?

I’m currently using an Asus PB278 and I did a calibration with the Spyder5 Express (the low end one) and DisplayCal — seems better, I’d say.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Most manufacturers of calibration gear suggest doing it once a month or so. I suppose back in the day of CRT technology that might have been advice I would follow. CRT phosphors burn and the different coloured phosphors burn at different rates. That isn’t an issue with today’s LED back lighting etc. LCD panels are effectively a grid of RGB switches that are either working or not but they don’t shift in their effectiveness.

With the possible exception of a pro studio when once a week or day might be prudent(even if excessive) I personally think once a year is more than enough insurance.

FYI my own schedule is to run a calibration yearly and that rarely shows much change if any.

Mistyisle
    Participant

I work with two monitors and calibrate about every 3 months, Chris.  Am interested in what Rob above has said.

Falxy
    Participant

‘rarely shows much change if any’………….go along with that!!

had a spyder…..lent a spyder…..lost a spyder….tis a spyders life!! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.