Camera Settings – by Rob Wood

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Camera Settings – by Rob Wood

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Eyers 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Dorothy
    Participant

i recently read an article by Rob Wood about the order of setting one’s camera settings and he said I Am Shooting was a good way to remember the order 1. ISO, 2. Aperture and 3. Shutter Speed.  i was visiting with my son and his wife and i mentioned I Am Shooting, he in turn said he does basically the same but the way he sets his shutter speed i found interesting and have been trying it out.

(sometimes being old and having learned something one way i get comfortable and don’t always push myself to learn more about my camera and improve my photography skills, it can get overwhelming realizing one doesn’t know diddly squat. i digress.)

My son considers the light (sets the ISO) and his desired composition (sets the aperture) and then looks through the camera view finder and adjusts the light meter to be in the middle using the camera dial by the shutter button.  This in turn tweaks the shutter speed. i found this very helpful and really cool.  i will submit a couple photos done this way in the near future, just thought i would share.

Tom M
    Participant

I guess I don’t see how this is different than the way Rob described to do this…

Dorothy
      Participant

Thanks Tom: Maybe i misunderstood Rob.  i thought he was saying set the shutter speed in the camera according to things like how wanting to capture motion or how to balance the light by steps with the iso and aperture.  i didn’t catch reference to the light meter in the view finder and letting that be what sets the shutter speed. i will re-read.

in any case i realize it takes some tweaking no matter what but i thought using the light meter allowed for one less thing to think about to begin with. will most likely comment again after re reading Rob’s article……

i am back, after reading i see there are so many ways to do things, what i gather is Rob sets ISO according to light conditions,

then the Aperture for the wanted DOF,

then the Shutter Speed where needed for a sharp picture (hmmm?)

then he readjusts the ISO according to the meter to get the right exposure triangle.

Different ways to get to the same place, was just sharing what i found interesting and fairly easy.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

My two cents… the order is dictated by the situation. First consider the intensity of the lighting and set an estimated ISO. Secondly, consider the subject. What is more important depth of field or camera/subject  blur or sharpness. Based on that decision you choose the second setting: DOF is most important? Choose to set the aperture. Camera/subject sharpness due to movement is most important? Set the shutter speed. Now, set the last remaining setting. If the last remaining setting is aperture, and you’re not happy with what the meter is telling you- adjust the ISO to achieve the aperture you want. If the last setting is shutter speed and you’re not happy with what the meter is telling you- adjust the ISO to achieve the shutter speed you want. This probably sounds wordy and difficult. With some practice it becomes 2nd nature and can be accomplished in less than a few seconds. Also, this doesn’t need to be done for every shot. It only needs to be done when the lighting changes. Plus, with the advantages of camera raw- once you’re in the ballpark with your settings, you can easily adjust in post.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

In faster moving situations my approach has not been mentioned as of yet. Some will disagree, but it works for me and it’s fast.

I set the aperture for the DOF required and the shutter speed for motion issues. That leaves ISO which I set to auto leaving the camera to do the heavy lifting. A quick check of the histogram(or meter) lets me know if any exposure compensation is required.

In a run and gun situation everything is predetermined and automatic except for only one quick check on Exp Comp.

Even in a static situation this method quickly lets me know if what I want to do is reasonable or whether the ISO will be “out to lunch”(to high with too much noise). If it is I then decide on whether aperture or shutter speed will have to be sacrificed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.