Can you help

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  billyspad 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

billyspad
    Blocked

This is Mrs Billy caught unawares in her family ancestral home. The house is now in the hands of a trust who are raising funds to restore it to its former glory. We have access at anytime due to family ties. On this occasion I visited to try, very unsuccessfully, to get some good interior shots. Mrs Billy had followed me from the present day family home next door. The lady was a professional dancer when younger and classically trained.

I turned around and totally unknown to me she had adopted this stance and proceeded to glide across the floor as only a good dancer can. I had the wrong lens and camera not set up so took a snap, that’s all it is. I was caught unaware and Mrs Billy’s action was totally spontaneous. She is wearing a house coat and sandals but the expanse of polished wood floor brought back memories of her former years and the result was what you see.

For obvious reasons I love this fota but as much as I fiddle with it I cannot find a result that I am truly happy with. I hereby pass it over to the brains and talents of the sharks to dissect and offer advice. The special meaning of this does not mean I want you to be anything other than completely honest.

Tom M
    Participant

I like it just as is. Well captured,sharp. Perhaps more of a closeup could be an improvement,not sure…

billyspad
    Blocked

Tom a close up tends to reduce awareness of the setting, size of the floor etc which is what made Mrs Billy suddenly spring into dance mode. Thank you for your kind words my friend.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hello @billyspad! I think you actually did a very good job when it comes to editing. The only thing you could try is a tighter cropping, so that the dancer gets more attention.

billyspad
    Blocked

JasenkaG editing is never a problem, the sign of a misspent youth, and I’m beginning to come around to the idea of a tighter crop just not sure where. Maybe some kind soul would like to crop it and put me out of my misery cos I cannot make up my mind on this one. Not sure if that’s old age or the effect of the white nose candy enjoyed when younger.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

What a beautiful structure! Was she raised there?

billyspad
    Blocked

Kent Mrs Billy was not raised in the house it has not been occupied during her lifetime. Its of immense historical value but in a country where millions live below the poverty line funds for restoration of the property are not easy to obtain. The house was the home of Sixto Lopez who can be found in Wikopedia. He was a close friend of Rizal a Phillipines hero who was executed by the Spanish. Sixto Lopez was instrumental in trying to end the very bloody war between the US and the Philippines 1898 – 1901. Mrs Billy is his great granddaughter. Unfortunately Kent by the time I came along the family wealth had been seriously depleted!

John Thompson

I love this building!  I have been back to look at it three times!!  I think your wife in the pic is just what was needed to make this photo.  I like the crop as is because it shows the detail of the building.  Not to take anything away from Mrs. Billy but the building is the photo.  Her in the photo makes it complete.  I know about seeing the back end of family money.  My fathers family were well of but when my grandfather died my dad’s brothers moved in and quickly claimed it all.  This was before I was born.  They had just invented currency at that time!  Lol.  My grandfather was a newspaper publisher.

billyspad
      Blocked

John the building although in need of many repairs is indeed magnificent. Despite many attempts I cannot get that to translate well when I try and photograph it. Made me reach the conclusion interior photography is not my strong point.

Money would not have made me appreciate sweet Mrs Billy anymore I’m sure but I do feel I was born to wear designer duds live in a mansion and drive a Ferrari. Oh well one can dream. Thank you for calling by my friend

Graham Hart
    Participant

Despite the magnificent surroundings, I think Mrs. Billyspad needs a bit more of the spotlight so I applied a minimal crop just to remove the light creeping in from left of shot to stop the eyes wandering over there. Then a bit of tonal work to lift her colours and help her to pop.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Graham, good work on Billyspad’s very nice image.

Albirder
      Participant

I happen to like “environmental” street photography and general images. But in my images, apparently my idea of suitable environment exceeds my viewer’s idea. This is a splendid example of a little bit of crop going a long way. This is a great image, Billy, and a great edit, Graham.

Joanna
      Participant

Interesting… I would have been tempted to crop from the bottom right corner and I think it would have made the mood in the picture very different. Not better or worse, but different.

I would have cropped from the bottom right corner because
      1) I liked the relationship between the room and the garden with its trees as seen from all three windows. So I wouldn’t want to loose that.
      2) It would have created a nice dialogue between the green dress of the dancer and the garden behind the window that seems to attract her.
      To me, the resulting mood would have been quite ‘uplifting’, somewhat spiritual, a feel of surpassing one’s reality somehow.

With your crop, Graham, the abandoned mattress gets more attention, which makes the mood quite different. To me, with this crop, the resulting mood is melancholy and despite the happy moment a tinge of sadness over lost glory. It sure offers an interesting juxtaposition between the actual state of the room and the memories it elicits in the dancer.

billyspad
    Blocked

Graham I think you have cracked it mate. This was what I could not see. Well done and thank you.

Tom M
    Participant

Nice crop, Graham. That’s the way I would have done it too…

billyspad
    Blocked

Tom I have duly crowned Graham as king of the crop!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Billyspad, it wasn’t easy deciding to crop any part of the beautiful building but your approval means a lot. I am so glad (and relieved) you like the edit.

Falxy
    Participant

Billy lovely………….Grahams meddling even better!! 🙂

billyspad
      Blocked

Falxy that man Graham can meddle all he wants if he comes up with the goods like he has!

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

I  hadn’t read Graham’s  critique before I formulated my opinion and my crop is quite different than Grahams’s.  I felt that the dancer needed more room in in front of her to move into with the implied motion of her pose. T o suggest that room , I cropped off a good portion the room behind her making the space ahead of her  comparatively larger.  I felt he expanse of floor in the foreground aded nothing to the subject (the dancer) so I cropped  up from the bottom a ways.  To draw the eye to the dancer I brightened her and her vicinity and increased contrast , sharpness and detail (just a tiny bit each) in her space.  I also applied a mush stronger vignette than I would usually consider in order to make her the hero of the photo.

My edits were based only assumption that the dancer is the  hero and the room is of far less import.  please let me know if my assumptions were right and  if I accomplished any progress.

tcgv8ft4mdpw4fjng74qf2f36olrjnj2

tcgv8ft4mdpw4fjng74qf2f36olrjnj2

billyspad
    Blocked

Gary I thought Graham had solved my problem and then you come along with an even better crop. Thank you for that kind sir. I think you have nailed it. The room is pretty cool for sure but Mrs Billy is obviously a hero.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.