Candle Light

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 2 days ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Philip Watts
      Participant

This won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I am pleased with it on two counts.

Firstly it was a great learning process to create. Learnt a lot about Affinity photo and compositing in general doing this.

Secondly I actually achieved something quite close to my original conception, something I generally find hard to do.

Sometimes doing the odd and outlandish stretches us.

Candle Light

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Seems to be a pretty effective composite Philip. I agree that pushing into a different area is a good way to force learning.

To stay legal in the ST, I would suggest bringing the brightness down on just the bottom 10 to 15% of luminance. That area seems a little washed out on my monitor. It reads around 10% brightness and since there’s no detail there why not drive it to 0%. I think it makes the image stronger

I also question whether the table that the candle stick is on is necessary. Maybe crop up from the bottom until it’s gone so it’s not a distraction.

Tersha
      Keymaster

I think it works really well Philip! I agree with Rob, the table at the bottom isn’t necessary.

Philip Watts
      Participant

Thanks Rob and Tersha, Quite agree. Don’t know why I didn’t spot that!

Petr Nowak
      Participant

Interesting exercise. My focus on the main part was so strong that I didn’t notice any table at all.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

I pretty much agree with Petr, I haven’t noticed the table at all since I was focused on the main subject.

It’s a great composite and making such images is definitely a good way to become more fluent in photo editing.

Frank
      Participant

Had some fun with this one.  Thanks for doing the hard work, Phillip! Duplicated the side faces, and rotated them up to the corners with the transform tool.  Change the tone of the faces and added a spotlight to the candle/chin area. Wanted to add something to fill the dark area above the head, but only came up with a smokey texture.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Frank.
      Graham Hart
      Participant

I can see a fair bit of work went into this image Phillip, even before the editing began. The best way to learn stuff by far is to just have a go and I think your results are commendable. I bought Affinity ages ago and never use it. You’ve given me inspiration to explore it again. (Can’t help thinking that chin is going to get burnt) 🙂

Philip Watts
      Participant

Hi Frank. Like the treatment you have given this and thanks for the comments.

Philip Watts
      Participant

See what you mean about the chin! Perhaps lower or higher would have been better?

Affinity is brilliant. The hardest thing about it is finding the imagination to use it creatively!

Tom M
      Participant

I like the composite Philip. The table doesn’t distract to me. My only complaint is the eyes of the center character. Perhaps you wanted a “spooky” feel to it, but it doesn’t work for me. I realize there would be some catch light, but I think it’s overdone. YMMV…

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar