Gerald Murphy
      Participant

Thank you, Dahlia

Gerald Murphy
      Participant

Canning Dock Blue Hour goes Black and White

Gerald Murphy
      Participant

The new photo shows Canning Dock at Blue Hour turning Black and White. I don’t like the halo around the clock face – it was there in the colour photo but it looks worse in monochrome. I’m wondering if it’s an artefact caused by the f/16 choice of focal length which is otherwise effective in causing the starbursts around the street lights!!

beth
      Participant

i like the color version the best, but prefer the crop of the second.  the halo around the clock face isn’t a big deal, but you have some odd black halos around the buildings in the b&w.  otherwise i like the contrasty tones in the b&w.

i don’t think the halo around the clock face is caused by the aperture.  it’s likely just the light from the clock face bleeding onto the surrounding wall.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by beth.
      Gerald Murphy
      Participant

Beth. I’ve only just caught up with your helpful comment. I hadn’t noticed the halos around the black buildings in the b&w. They weren’t there in the colour. Maybe something I caused when I desaturated the colours in Lightroom.

beth
        Participant

they’re there in the color version too.  but the different blue tones help hide them.  without the color they stand out more.

Gerald Murphy
      Participant

I revisited this place this week for the Liverpool River of Light festival – lots of colour to see in the various buildings and installations but, while there, I had another go at the Canning Dock. I stuck with colour because it was night rather than blue hour and there was lots of colour to see.Canning Dock at night

P71
      Participant

Nice shot Gerald , well worth your revisit mate.

Gerald Murphy
      Participant

Thanks a lot for that encouragement.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.