Cityscape

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Lenny Wollitz 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Being a city boy and using public transportation makes it difficult to shoot landscapes so this is a close as I can get.  Not a tree huger nature shot for sure.  What to you think of the poles framing the shot?

Frank
    Participant

The frame works nicely.  (Not sure why the edge of the blue building slants, but the pole is straight.)   If there were only one or two wires, I would spot heal them out, but with so many, I like the web they form and they become so much a pert of the scene.

For me this image is all about the color, and I like the way you chose a street the slopes steeply down.

Suggestion:  Try playing with sliders that relate to color.  HSL, or Selective Color adjustments.  Temperature sliders in ACR or Lightroom.  I like playing with gradient maps of color (found near the bottom of the Adjustment column) which will at first make the image look terrible, but then playing with various modes, especially Overlay or Soft Light, and then lessening the Opacity and Fill, can often add interesting shifts in color.  In this image try a red/yellow combo.

PS I live in suburbs near, beaches and woods, but I often take commuter rail to the city (Boston) to shoot city landscapes, especially night scenes.  This street might be interesting with night lights.

John Thompson

Very nice Lenny.

Frank
    Participant

Frank
    Participant

Played with selective color (in Red play with cyan and yellow)  (Cyan, move right note effect of yellow in the trees)  (Magenta, move right and notice the change in the near building on the right that looks pink!)   There is a lot of yellow in the image, too.  It is in the street as well as building at the bottom of the hill.  Tried to isolate the colors with luminosity masking.  Only subtle changes from your original.  Not better, just slightly different.  Just lots of color to play with.   I did add a yellow, blue white Gradient map with soft light and low opacity, that only made a minor difference.   In short, Lenny, this is a very pleasing image!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I like the near buildings as a frame but the poles I’m torn about. Did you take any other shots from a few steps further on? I feel like I want to see more but maytbe that just isn’t as interesting. I know you worry about mexi colours but this case I think you could pump it up a little bit.

I have to say that I like the angle of the street and the buildings beyond.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Frank and Rob,

Thanks for you comments!  After looking at Frank’s edit I think I will bump the colors up somewhere between the original and his.

Rob, I’m not sure about the poles either… no other shots so I will have to live with them.   This was shot in GTO and we walked back and forth about 1 km the street (not vehicles allowed) several times a day for 3 weeks.  At 2,000 m I didn’t just run out to the tienda for a cup of sugar, it had to be something important, like beer!

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Lenny @el-dub :  I agree about upping the colors, it is just a personal preference on how much you want to do that.  These are beautiful colors and i think splitting the difference like you said is a good idea.  The poles do tend to start the frame but the road and buildings lead and frame throughout.  My suggestion would be remove the pole on the right an keep the one on the left, it backs up the network of wires and keeps the lovely street lamp. Oh and i cropped a bit off the top as well.

Cityscape LennyWollitz edit dms

Dorothy
      Participant

Maybe put a yellow glow in the lamp to give it a little attention.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Lenny, I like the framing too. I also like the colours in Frank’s edit as adds pop, contrast and it suits the place as well  🙂

Steve Walker
    Participant

To my taste, the poles aren’t overly bothersome. Framing without them does reduce the impact, and I do very much like the blue/red of the 2 buildings on the edges of the frame. Removing the red building in Dorothy’s version feels unbalanced to me. I especially like that bit of bright light in the center foreground in Frank’s version, so any reprocessing ought to keep that bit along with the additional sharpness of the cobblestones.

The overhead wire bothers me. Removing it completely makes the frame less complete but the wire’s disappearing act in the upper right portion bothers me a bit. I wish it were complete to the attachment of the pole on that side, though there might have been some other, more bothersome, element up there.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Hi, Lenny.    Great street view.   I suggest that the blue wall is a distraction, and I like a more asymetrical approach where the poles are the frame, yet there are the orange wall & steps on the right, as a typical entrance to the street/city.   I like both showing the landing at the top of the street/bottom of the photo, but also cropping that off to emphasize the buildings.   So I’ve loaded both images.

I like the wires, because having lived in Latin America a couple of years,  I know that’s a basic element of street scenes in many barrios.

I enlarged both files; brightened the buildings on the right side, and tried to tone down the blue of the trees in the background.   I also tried to dull the reflection on the orange banister, but not very well!

For this 1st option, I also brightened the bottom right step, for some emphasis and balance.   Have fun!

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Other option

Federico Alegria
    Participant

Hi there @el-dub, this is quite a different shot from yours for sure, maybe you could make those lines straighter with the lens correction pan on Lightroom. I think that a tighter crop resulting in continued lines from the poles could make a stronger visual impact as well. This is just me speaking now, but somebody walking at 1/15th of a second would’ve been splendid!

Dorothy
    Participant

I do like Anne’s crop keeping both poles and removing the blue building.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Thanks for all of the ideas!  I think I’m going to do about half of the amount that Frank did and call it good.  I left the two walls alone as I didn’t think they needed to be more prominent than they were to start with.  Who would ever thought there would be so many ways to crop a photo!

Federico, I know it’s a weird combination of styles… in addition to street photography I also enjoy doing “Chamber of Commerce” shots for a couple of magazines and a web site here.  I struggle a bit with using color.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.