Comments?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Sarthak Choudhary 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

Updated with suggestions from community members:

Processed:

Original:

D3300 with Af-p 18-55mm

18mm @f/9

1/320s

ISO-200

Albirder
    Participant

I can only enlarge the original, so it is a little hard for me to compare. I prefer the crop on the original and I think I prefer the unprocessed original. This is strictly a matter of personal taste. I tend to like light airy landscapes better than dark landscapes. The tree is a real compositional asset for me. I do love strong lines. The line of light clouds in the original provides a nice line of movement for my eye. That really helps me enjoy a landscape, which can be, in general, compositions that are way too static to work for me. Nicely taken!

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

Well, first of all, thanks for you comments.
      I too like that tree, actually I tried several compositions but I liked the one with tree most. A really close up shot with  rocks without surroundings just doesn’t appears that appealing.

Although I am dark person, I have to agree I messed up the color a little too much.

I was afraid that I made trees look weird in the processed version.

Now that you mention it I too feel a little head space is needed. May be not as much as in the original but a little.

The line of light clouds in the original provides a nice line of movement for my eye.

I am sorry but I just don’t see it.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

I don’t care much for the crop.  When I look at the processed one I want to duck my head.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I too like the original because of the headroom but also the clouds look right. In the PP’d version the clouds are too dark and over processed. It’s a nice image and is worth further work IMHO.

My other comment would be that it seems like the same processing has been applied to the whole image. I think this is a perfect case where you could pump up the detail/contrast/saturation and do some dodging and burning in the bottom right corner where the closest land is. Some of the mid ground could take a very small amount of that processing too but I wouldn’t touch the distant hills. In that way you could add some impact and increase the perceived depth. As I mentioned I would tread lightly on the clouds.

One other thing…there is a lot of colour impurity in the clouds (of the unprocessed image), and some of them appear a bit blown out. Do you know what’s causing that?

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

I too like the original because of the headroom but also the clouds look right.

I’ll redo the whole thing with more headroom.

In the PP’d version the clouds are too dark and over processed. It’s a nice image and is worth further work IMHO.

Agreed, I was too focused on rocks that I messed up everything else.

My other comment would be that it seems like the same processing has been applied to the whole image.

Yes, I always do that. Is that not how people do it?

One other thing…there is a lot of colour impurity in the clouds (of the unprocessed image), and some of them appear a bit blown out. Do you know what’s causing that?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by color impurity. It was cloudy and foggy in there, I guess the exposure was set according to the focus point(i.e., those rock) hence the over exposure. And may be I did a little exposure enhancement in post processing, so that adds to the problem. Although I had a tripod, I didn’t go for an HDR.

Thanks for the comment.

billyspad
    Blocked

Overall a nice shot and impressive place to be.

The processed shot appears to have been treated overall with much the same settings on your PP program. In your processed sky you have managed to get some good detail in the clouds which appeared to be blown but then left the sky dark losing the mystery of the light swirling mist. The trees seem over sharpened but you have revealed some nice detail in the rocks.

The shot needs breaking down into its component parts and the relevant PP used on individual areas before blending them together. In Photoshop use layer masks but not sure what PP program you have.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

Overall a nice shot and impressive place to be.

Thanks. It’s a place called Pillar Rocks view point in Kodaikanal (India).

left the sky dark losing the mystery of the light swirling mist

I guess I could enhance the whites to correct that.

The trees seem over sharpened but you have revealed some nice detail in the rocks.

Yeah the processing in those trees looks weird.

he shot needs breaking down into its component parts and the relevant PP used on individual areas before blending them together. In Photoshop use layer masks but not sure what PP program you have.

Lightroom CC. But I can do that in photoshop.

Thanks for the comment.

3pco
    Participant

What Billyspad said but I think your rocks look way better in the processed shot because of what you’ve done with the reds and oranges.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

Actually rocks were my main focus all the time. I completely ignored the surrounding which make most of the landscape.

Thanks for the comment.

bucweeet
    Participant

My apologies as there are several posts attached to this one as I want to keep these images within this thread (and not on Flikr).

Depending on one’s taste… Have you tried HDR…  Make two ‘virtual copies’ in LR and adjust the images so that one has a -1 exposure and the other a +1 exposure.  Then convert to HDR.  This one was done in Photomatix. The processing is a little over the top but I think you get the idea (you can then edit to your preferences):

bucweeet
    Participant

Also have you thought of B&W… the following have all been quickly edited in PS so my apologies for the ‘halos’ from quick dodging/burning and then converted to B&W in LR and cropped to present different views as I feel you have several images in this one picture.  All tell somewhat the same story, but each present a slightly different perspective. The original converted to B&W in LR.

bucweeet
    Participant

Set to a 16×9 pano:

bucweeet
    Participant

Landscape of the cliffs only:

bucweeet
    Participant

Portrait of the cliffs:

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

I like this crop. But I am not a black and white person so I’ll try this with colors.

Thanks for the comment.

bucweeet
    Participant

Portrait of the cliff ‘fingers’:

Dave Watkins
    Participant

I think the sky in the original is a bit flat. Processed looks better. That’s why God invented CP’s. Then I’d look for a happy medium between the two as far as cropping the top goes.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

Then I’d look for a happy medium between the two as far as cropping the top goes.

I thought the same.

Thanks the comment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.