Computational Cameras – What?

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Computational Cameras – What?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Apple 7 months ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

There has been much discussion on LS about mobile phone photography and the direction of camera development.

I saw this attached photo in an article that talked about the future of cameras.

I think it’s pretty interesting to make a favorable comparison between a mobile phone photograph and one taken by a Canon 5D Mark IV, especially a photograph taken at night in low light.

This article discussed several things. Four that were particularly interesting to me were…

Much of the current camera development is being driven by mobile phone manufacturing companies.

The DSLR as we currently know it will fade away.

Mirrorless will become the standard for large sensor cameras.

A new standard of camera is coming. They are called “Computational Cameras”. These cameras will analyze the scene framed up by the photographer, and they will use AI technology to create and immediately post-process the scene to the best possible image. They will also have the ability to recommend that the photographer recompose the scene, as they will be able to see and analyze areas outside of the viewfinder.

What?

Robert Apple

I have a older pixel and Verizon service so have been getting info on upgrading to this phone, the last Email had this little tid bit.

AI camera processing begins the moment the Camera AP is activated, before the shutter button is even pressed, Pixel 3 will measure your natural hand shake, and take into account any other motion in the scene, as well as light conditions including angle of reflection and intensity. If the phone is fairly stable then, Pixel 3 will take more time capturing the light. If there’s a lot of movement, then it will use a shorter exposures and this minimizes motion blur.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.