Conceptual art critique

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Conceptual art critique

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Dorothy 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

What do you think of this series called painted pixels, inspired by Michael Anthony Simon’s painted leaves photos seen here https://www.michaelanthonysimon.com/plantsandtrees

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

I’ve only done two so far

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Lynne:  i went to the website to see what had inspired you.  he did a very interesting thing with the leaves.  he inserted non leaf attributes to the leaves.

that said i am not quite sure what you are going for.  were these birds not originally in the trees or are you wanting the shapes to draw attention to the birds?  i think you are wanting a critique on the concept but am not sure what that is at this point.

a straight critique of the photos, the use of the contrasting background behind each bird is interesting but i personally find the straight edges a bit blunt.  a little more about your concept and what you are trying to do would help.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

He paints nature and documents the paintings in context. I document nature and paint the subject (frame) in context. They are both regarding beauty in nature being enhanced/altered in context by man’s hand. His physical change documents through technologies lens, mine technological documentation with a a physical manipulation applied.

If you zoom in it’s not a simple darkening shape, it has been completely alerted on the cardinal, branches removed, colors changed. I accidentally posted the wrong version of the Finch… The final has a moon  composited  in with the bird.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

I too attributed non bird/nature attributes. Trust me they are not glowing or metallic.  some of the leaves shimmer gold… It’s just digital painting instead of real to reflect the change in times. That series is old for Michael and as I spoke with him today, he personally approves of the digital direction but can not execute it himself as he was diagnosed legally blind a few years ago and can’t work that detailed on a PC screen

billyspad
    Blocked

Lynne read your explanation to Dorthy three times and no further on with what this is about. Can you run that by me again minus the arty babble. Ol’ Billy was taken out of school at 13 years of age to be trained in the family business of car theft and drug dealing with the mugging of old ladies at weekends thrown in to earn pocket money. So the relationship between a guy painting house plant leaves and you putting squares around birds up trees is losing me at present although I am sure with careful tuition I could learn to love it.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

This is the series I am referring to, not the indoor plants, but outside…in context. I can’t be more clear about the relationship between the two… He paints nature and documents with tech cam. I document nature with tech cam and paint over a portion. They are opposites both highlighting man’s hand on nature, adding beauty. There are no big words. If I’m still not communicating clearly, I’m not sure what I can do about that. Also they are not just squares. I’m going to my laptop and I’ll make a nice gif of the changes for you.

Dorothy
      Participant

Hi Lynne:  I have taken my time to review what everyone else has input and especially what you have shared.  Please let me know if I am catching on.  You document nature (take a picture) with a tech cam? and then digitally paint on the photo? I honestly have not heard the expression tech cam and tried to google it and the closest I got was a tac cam which is a type of body camera? I am probably way off base, just let me know, I love learning wonderful new things in this genre.

Back to your original question, if I am understanding things I think the idea of photographing and then enhancing said photos with digital painting is a really good idea, bringing together two different digital worlds.  Having the blown up bird with moon helped to clarify this for me.  I like the idea of the pixel shape framing the highlighting of man’s hand on nature.  I would keep it and just lighten it so that it still draws attention to your artistic changes but does not overpower them.

Lynne Guenther
        Participant

I just used the word tech to differentiate between tech and nature. You’re right on track for what I was going for. Thanks for the feedback!

Dorothy
          Participant

Thanks for getting back to me Lynne.  Very cool idea.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

another

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

I hope this info is helpful to you both

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

here’s a close up of the “square” on the other

billyspad
      Blocked

Sorta with it now and this is very nice. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

of course printed in person the differences are more obvious and the square portions look more painted, particularly on the substrate i use.

Robert Apple

I’ve spent a little time digesting this and get what your goal is, I used to do this kind of photo manipulation with an industrial twist, For myself I would like to see the differences a bit more stark , the clone in of the moon is a good example but the coloring of the leaves and branches could just be taken as off lighting or a mis adjusted white point. When I first saw the house finch as a stand alone pic I thought it was a museum photo of a taxidermy bird on a plastic plant but with the rest of the photo around it loses something in translation . Anyhow as in your examples of Michael’s art above the difference is much more obvious, the branch and the leaves have taken on almost a metallic appearance maybe push that farther, chrome branch with gold leaf leaves perhaps. If you want a painted look push that farther maybe add a frame around it versus a darkened box, window frame, postage stamp frame ect.
    all that may not jive with your personal vision, just spit balling here.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Lynne,

It is an interesting concept. In the first image, I think reducing the opacity of the rectangle would look a bit better. Not sure what you think 🙂

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try a more dramatic difference.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hello Lynne, I like this concept of painted pixels and I checked out the website you mentioned.

It’s hard to critique this kind of images because they don’t need to follow any typical guidelines, it’s pretty much up to you. Personally, I wouldn’t use squares to frame the altered part of the image because it looks kinda too rough for me – I would probably just paint over the bird, using variety of colors and different brush strokes. Of course, that’s just my idea – the only thing that really matters here is to make it look how you visualized it.

Lynne Guenther
      Participant

Thanks for the input, and I mostly agree that in art, as long as the artist intent is clear that’s all that matters….but, people have to like your intent to make money 😉 so I still like to hear what others think! others are my paycheck 😉

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

I went with squares to represent the digital age, the bird only is a great idea but I would tend to do that as actually physically painting the print rather than digitally just bc of what I’m going for. thanks again!

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Got it now, actually it really makes sense to use squares to represent the digital world we’re living in 🙂 Clever idea!

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

Thanks!

Dorothy
      Participant

Hi Lynne: just a quick note, i posted on May 3, 2:08 am and hoped you might get back to me. thanks, Dorothy

Emma Davis
    Participant

They are just amazing. Keep going.

Chicago Style Referencing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.