Crop ratio?

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Pam
      Participant

I take lots of sports pics for the parents of my son and daughter’s sports teams. I typically will crop all the pictures to 4×6 … given that’s what I’ll typically print to show off (and I assume everyone does what I do!) I know it’s not always the best ratio for composition … but it’s better than extra large white borders along one edge or another.
      But …
      I realize that others might want to print 5×7, or possibly larger …
      What’s the “best” ratio to crop too?

Tim McMurdo
      Participant

Pam,

I don’t think there is a magic crop ratio that is good for everything. The ratio that is perfect for you is the one that best fits how the image will be used. My camera natively creates images in 4×3 format but like you, I often find the need to print in 4×6. However, I needed a group of images to fit on an HD display and had to crop them all to 16×9.

Look at the needs of your application & apply the appropriate crop.

I use aperture for most of my processing and cropping. This is done non-destructively, allowing me to return and re-cropor re-adjust the images again and again.

Tim

Tim McMurdo
      Participant

Pam,

I don’t think there is a magic crop ratio that is good for everything. The ratio that is perfect for you is the one that best fits how the image will be used. My camera natively creates images in 4×3 format but like you, I often find the need to print in 4×6. However, I needed a group of images to fit on an HD display and had to crop them all to 16×9.

Look at the needs of your application & apply the appropriate crop.

I use aperture for most of my processing and cropping. This is done non-destructively, allowing me to return and re-cropor re-adjust the images again and again.

Tim

Pam
      Participant

Aperture?

Pam
      Participant

Aperture?

Tim McMurdo
      Participant

Aperture is the Apple photo editing software. I only go to photoshop when the image requires the use of layers for extensive editing.

Tim McMurdo
      Participant

Aperture is the Apple photo editing software. I only go to photoshop when the image requires the use of layers for extensive editing.

Pam
      Participant

Ah … I have a PC. I use the internal Windows software for primary whittling down of a shoot … and cropping. Then I go to Photoshop Elements for color correction and noise reduction. Haven’t learned much yet about all the other cool stuff it can do! (just got it for Christmas)

Pam
      Participant

Ah … I have a PC. I use the internal Windows software for primary whittling down of a shoot … and cropping. Then I go to Photoshop Elements for color correction and noise reduction. Haven’t learned much yet about all the other cool stuff it can do! (just got it for Christmas)

Why not switch to LightRoom? You will never look back!

Why not switch to LightRoom? You will never look back!

Pam
      Participant

@admin, cash … I can only afford one thing at a time.

That, and I tried a 30 day trial version and it was over my head!

Pam
      Participant

@admin, cash … I can only afford one thing at a time.

That, and I tried a 30 day trial version and it was over my head!

There is an open source alternative called BlueMarine but it doesn’t allow edits – it’s just a workflow application. Though I imagine it probably interfaces with GIMP.

I love those open source guys!

There is an open source alternative called BlueMarine but it doesn’t allow edits – it’s just a workflow application. Though I imagine it probably interfaces with GIMP.

I love those open source guys!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.