Dancer at the Kumeu Show – simple image

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Dancer at the Kumeu Show – simple image

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Mistyisle
      Participant

Took this virtually one year ago, but did not capture my imagination that time around.  However, in reviewing my photos at that Show, plus doing a big crop, I like the result, at this stage.  Get at it, Sharks!!  Want to see some threshing here!

Settings ISO100; 50mms (75mms equiv) – 17-70 Sigma Lens ; f3.8; 1/1250sec.

Petr Nowak
      Participant

Interesting image. I wonder “what is happening there?”. It evokes question (without image description) that’s good. The composition is well done including square crop.
      The only minus I see is a lack of contrast / dramatic light.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Thanks Petr

Have taken your suggestions on-board.  Have taken it that by contrast you mean “brightness and contrast”,  or is it that there is not much contrast in the colours, which are pretty bland?  Here is my updated effort.  At the moment it is quite a way from where I want to end up.  Just trying to find my way forward.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Mistyisle. Reason: Add last two sentences
      Petr Nowak
      Participant

I don’t definitely mean something like your attempt. The image is interesting, it evokes question, crop is fine.
      I tried to do some PP but I didn’t find something that suits my feeling concerning contrast and your (first) version looks better.
      So the only thing I think could be better (finally this is ST) is some dramatic light (not PP, but real light).

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Jim, the light looks dull in the image and so it has flattened the colours as well. Maybe brighten the image a bit and bring pop and contrast by locally brushing parts of the image that require brightness and also maybe increase the vibrance a bit.

The round edge, is that a vignette you added? I think that makes the image look a bit dark. Not sure what you think 🙂

Rob Eyers
      Participant

For me the original looks pretty dull with a lack of contrast and pop. Lots of things you could do with it. How far you want to go is a matter of personal taste I guess. I had some fun with it…not that it’s better, just different.

Falxy
      Participant

Hi Mistyman……well bloody easy

Background needs blurring…..worth the effort

The Lady is to die for,the hair,the posture,the looking out of shot and the angles with dress and top…………specially the dress….good work mate………..worth working on! 🙂

yeah a bit flat,but that can be altered

i look on as is the raw image but has some potential man!

Steve Walker
      Participant

I think brighter and straightening those background lines to close to vertical. I especially like her pose and the lens flare.

Dancer Prancer

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Steve Walker.
      Philip Watts
      Participant

For me the area of interest is the dancers face and arm positioning.

I have converted to B&W to emphasis shape and cropped to concentrate on the face and arms. Then a little work on sharpening and dodge and burn.

What I like about photographs of this sort is the vast array of interesting interpretations that can be made.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

@mistyisle My suggestion might be the most boring one here, but I would turn this into a well-lit studio shot.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Thanks everyone, I got diverted onto other stuff, but would like to try out some of your suggestions, though unfortunately that won’t be right away. In the meantime, here is a variation that I came up with just before I postponed action.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Similar edit to those already suggested but perhaps her look suits a more firey surround?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar