Do You Carry “Cheat Sheets”?

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Do You Carry “Cheat Sheets”?

• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9y, 8mo ago by Abe.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

You know – a sheet of paper or card with camera information for specific situations in case you cannot remember etc? I don’t often use them, but I kind of like having a few as a security blanket.

I usually carry one that covers my specific camera.

I also have a couple of others for macro and landscape that I throw in my bag depending on what I am shooting.

I am looking for a good one on photographers legal rights here because there have been a few horror stories of photographers getting hassled by police and public for doing nothing wrong.

Do you guys have any that you use often?

Yes, I always have one with me but not once have I remembered I have it ! Also, the print is really, really tiny !!!

Yes, I always have one with me but not once have I remembered I have it ! Also, the print is really, really tiny !!!

Abe
      Participant

Cheat sheet! ???

I have never been hassled by police! The closest anything would be the time I was in a shop in Chinatown in Victoria BC. I was taking a shot of a figurine and over my shoulder the voice of the shopkeeper saying “Noooo Picture”. I was his shop so I did as he wished, I got one shot though! I was laughing about that for days!

Abe
      Participant

Cheat sheet! ???

I have never been hassled by police! The closest anything would be the time I was in a shop in Chinatown in Victoria BC. I was taking a shot of a figurine and over my shoulder the voice of the shopkeeper saying “Noooo Picture”. I was his shop so I did as he wished, I got one shot though! I was laughing about that for days!

Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

You’ll often have trouble in China Town (anywhere) cos they sell a lot of rip-off labels etc. They get a bit upset about pictures of them breaking the law – same thing happens at Paddy’s Markets here in Sydney.

In general, if you’re standing on public property then you can shoot whatever you want (though I am not sure about Canada). Best to be sure though.

I have seen some heavy handed security guards here at the University of Sydney too. And there are a couple of cases of NSW police either not knowing the law or just being bullies.

Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

You’ll often have trouble in China Town (anywhere) cos they sell a lot of rip-off labels etc. They get a bit upset about pictures of them breaking the law – same thing happens at Paddy’s Markets here in Sydney.

In general, if you’re standing on public property then you can shoot whatever you want (though I am not sure about Canada). Best to be sure though.

I have seen some heavy handed security guards here at the University of Sydney too. And there are a couple of cases of NSW police either not knowing the law or just being bullies.

Abe
      Participant

I can understand that could be the case sometimes. I was all the way in his shop near the back. I complied, after all, it was his shop! This is what I did get!
      http://www.pbase.com/zeusatolympus/image/114603702

I have been shooting in places that I was surprised I wasn’t approached by some sort of authority figure. I have been watched, but maybe they figured I was just an old guy with a camera.

I guess I am wondering what was going on when the U of S or the NSW police stepped in? How does one get in that situation? Just seems unless there is a big sign telling you “no cameras” that one would be good to go!

Abe
      Participant

I can understand that could be the case sometimes. I was all the way in his shop near the back. I complied, after all, it was his shop! This is what I did get!
      http://www.pbase.com/zeusatolympus/image/114603702

I have been shooting in places that I was surprised I wasn’t approached by some sort of authority figure. I have been watched, but maybe they figured I was just an old guy with a camera.

I guess I am wondering what was going on when the U of S or the NSW police stepped in? How does one get in that situation? Just seems unless there is a big sign telling you “no cameras” that one would be good to go!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

Rob is the founder of Light Stalking. His love for photography pushed him into building this fantastic place, and you can get to know him better here