Downtown Mexico City

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Downtown Mexico City

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gabriel de la Rosa 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Gabriel de la Rosa
    Participant

People from my home city.

35 mm F/4 1/500 ISO 200

Mistyisle
    Participant

Hi Gabriel, I really like all six expressions, but which one is supposed to be the focal point?

Gabriel de la Rosa
      Participant

Hi, I think this is more about the crowd itself, I was not looking for a central character here, maybe could be de woman in the black cap or the guy in the white hat, but I don’t know. However, I must say I agree with Kent comment about the cropping could have been closer in order to focus attention in their faces. Thank you for your comment.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

This entire picture is about the 6 expressions (IMO). So why not emphasize that? The city background is really not providing much interest or information.

I cropped the image to just include the faces, and their interesting array of expressions.

Mistyisle had a point. Where do the viewer’s eyes end their journey?

This is a strong lateral composition. I decided to place a little emphasis on the boy.

I did this by placing him on the crosshairs for the Rule of Thirds. Then I took an Adjustment Brush and very slightly reduced the exposure and color saturation of everyone in the shot except the boy.

Finally, I applied a very light vignette to help push a viewer’s eyes inward.

I think it’s a very interesting picture!

Gabriel de la Rosa
      Participant

Thank you very much for taking the time to work in my photo Kent!

I agree with you, I think now the upper and the extreme left sides of the photo are non informative and kind of distracting since I have lot of faces asking for the viewers attention.

I found very interesting your cropping approach, it certainly brings the attention were it should be, I really like it, however, I tend to want to have a little more information about the environment were the action is taking place, since this is ultimately a “portrait” of the city.

So I tried a different cropping, wider than yours,  perhaps it also works.

Thank you again. Regards.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Great capture Gabriel. I love it. The direction of their gazes are so varied it feels like they all looked away on cue. Don’t think I’ve ever seen so many varied expresions in such a small space before and each one of them is a contender for a focal point – especially the sneaky peaker on the far right.

However, I must agree with Kent about the crop. There is nothing in the taller crop that isn’t already in the shallow crop, just more space around the faces which has the effect of diluting the impact of their expressions.

I think that if you wanted to make a portrait of a city then the shot needs a much wider angle. This is a portrait of peoples faces.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

That’s a BANG ON CROP Kent!

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Great image, Gabriel!  Agree – great crop Kent.   Gabriel what I like about your 2nd image is the shoulders on bottom left and right framing the faces.    What does bother me is the frizzy red hair in lower left, unconnected to a person.  Someone better in photoshop than I can perhaps “disappear” that.

I very much like what Kent did with the color adjustments;  yours looks a little to sharpened for me,  Gabriel.

I am drawn to the young fellow’s “lost in thought in the crowds” expression, so I started with Kent’s file, and to emphasize him, played with making the face to his left in the photo only half a face and intensifying the color on his t-shirt.   (Still didn’t get rid of all the red hair…..)    Not sure it works, but food for thought,

Gabriel de la Rosa
      Participant

Hi Anne! Thank you very much for your input. I agree with you and Kent about the color adjustments you guys made. I also realize the tighter crop may work better in this image.

I like your cropping but I can’t help to miss the eye of the woman to the left, I think it is important to have all the “twelve eyes” of the subjects in the frame. Maybe, as you suggest, the solution to the “invasive hair” could be to tight a little more the cropping –like Kent did–, and work the picture in photoshop trying to get rid of that hair.

I appreciate your comments Anne, thank you! 🙂

Mistyisle
    Participant

I must congratulate you, Gabriel, for posting such a great image for critiquing.  As a by-product of the very useful comments above, I too have certainly learned.

Gabriel de la Rosa
      Participant

Certainly I do learned a lot too Mistyisle, this is the great value to hear the point of view from all of you guys. Regards.

billyspad
    Blocked

Right from the outset I would say I think good street photography is a very hard genre to master. Technically your shot seems very sound and improved by the crop. For me it possibly does not work as well as it should. Its a view of a crowd that tells almost nothing about the people or the location. It could be anybody and anywhere. There is no decisive moment captured, no look in any participants eyes that lead a viewer to wonder what they are thinking. Its difficult to feel involved  with a crowd shot of people just going about their normal lives.  I would have liked at least one of the anonymous faces to engage with the photographer. Maybe a general crowd scene was all you wanted but I look for more.

Gabriel de la Rosa
      Participant

Thank you for your comment, well… everything you would liked to see in the picture it’s absent from it so I don’t know what to say to you; Maybe you needed a whole different one, but this is the one I took and wanted to share, it’s a shame it didn’t said anything to you, I really like to share pictures in here because the suggestions and constructive critique from the people make all of us improve and take notice of a number of details that pass us by. All comments are welcome, thanks again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.