Emptiness

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ravi
      Participant

I took this picture a few months back – in hindsight I find something dissatisfying about the photo.

Dusk by Ravi on Light Stalking

EXIF: f/4.5; 1/3200; ISO-100; 35mm

John Thompson

@raviputcha I have to agree about the emptyness. I think that you need some detail in the silhouette. If you recall I had the same problem with a post yesterday. I guess I don’t feel that silhouette and detail need be mutually exclusive. This is a difficult type of shot to do. I have never been 100% successful. I love the idea though. I probably would have shot it just like this. So I am not much help!!

Ravi
      Participant

@nikon-nut I disagree about the detail in the shadow. A silhouette is a silhouette – I have a bunch of them where I got it right. What I put up here is the stuff I couldn’t reconcile with.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

I like the backlit building (or whatever it is) but the others could go. The silhouette attracts my and holds my attention just the way it is with no additional detail needed.

Fred Furze
      Participant

@raviputcha I think the main thing that bothers me with this silhouette is the overlap in of the trees and architecture in some areas. Because it is a silhouette in some areas it gets confused, where I am not immediately certain if it is tree mass or architecture. In that sense maybe a slight bit of detail might have helped. Otherwise maybe a slightly different vantage point so that there is more separation between the solid tree masses and the architecture masses.

Gerry Hiebert
      Participant

The silhouette without detail is fine, silhouettes are intended to be more graphic than documentary. However, I don’t find this image holds my attention. I immediately identified the subject, looked for something to keep me interested (colour?), got bored and wanted to find other images to look at.

John Thompson

That is mostly how I felt as well. Unlike the man in the turban @raviputch posted the other day. I had trouble looking away. I felt like he was going to speak at any minute.

Jake Carvey
      Participant

Compositionally, the tree branch in the top- middle of the frame is quite distracting from the very strong left to right curve you have going in thge silhouette. It pulls away much of the strength of the main building, as well as interrupting the otherwise “empty” negative space in the sky.

Like others have mentioned, I also really find myself wanting some kind of detail in the shadows to make the image really sing, but I understand that you are trying specifically for the silhouette.

In that case I believe removing the tree branch in the middle would make for a MUCH stronger clearer silhouette.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.