First National Bank

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank First National Bank

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mistyisle 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Jay Ward
    Participant

Oshkosh, WI. First architectural attempt.

Tobie

Pity about the traffic light / lamp post right in the middle of the building. Wonder if it would have worked better had you taken the shot from right on the other side of it in order to not have it in the scene? I know. Wider angle = distortion but you could fight that with a pano taken at the same f/l than this one (it appears to be round about 24mm?).

Please include your EXIF data with ST shots…

Jay Ward
    Participant

D7200, 17-70 Sigma 17mm, f8, 1/320sec, ISO 100. 24mm equivalent (good guess).

Jay Ward
    Participant

Original shot.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

What Tobie said plus the tower on top of the building is crowding the edge.

Jay Ward
    Participant

I thought about taking it off.

Jay Ward
    Participant

Not sure if I like this better or not.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

This is a lot better than the previous version Jay. Less distractions 🙂

Tobie

Certainly a lot better without the tower.

Tobie

Just for sake of interest: I always like to challenge PS’s amazing content aware fill’s abilities to remove unwanted objects and played around with this one. Not perfect – with a little more TLC much better results can be achieved. But still amazing:

building

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow Tobie! Amazing to see what you have done with the content aware fill in PS 🙂

Tobie

It’s one of the tools every photographer should know how to use Dahlia! Really an asset to any photographer’s toolkit!

Jay Ward
      Participant

Very nice. I messed around with it but was not happy with the fill I was getting. Nice job, but I would have got rid of the traffic barrels too ;).

Tobie

If you’re not happy with the fill, break it up into smaller pieces @jdublu. That usually works for me.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Just to be contrary, I like it better with the tower but would like a little more sky above it.

Albirder
    Participant

My particular thing is having a natural looking sky. I can be no help on how to achieve that. Maybe someone could address that because I might like my architectural pictures better.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Hi Diane. There is a a good reference for the colour of the sky in LAB mode.

The a channel should be zero or even slightly negative…say -3 or -4.

The b channel should be negative… – 35 to -50 is pretty normal.

The sky in Jay’s original post reads a +11,  b -62 near the top and a -17, b -42 near the horizon. Clearly the a channel is too red (a channel is +red and – green). Probably the easiest way to make the adjustments is with a blue luminosity mask on a curves layer. This one is a bit tricky because the shift to cyan at the horizon forces you to use a second curves layer to target cyan.

Admittedly this process might require some further information for one to get a handle on but here is the result after a quick run at it. I’m more than happy to elaborate if you want…just PM me. The numbers now fall within the range I first mentioned. If you don’t think the sky looks more natural please ignore all of the above. 🙂

EDIT: Check out the values of Jay’s “original shot”…second image posted. Sky values were within range so something changed in the edits.

Jay Ward
        Participant

I used Luminar polarizing filter to modify sky between the two shots. I’m slightly colorblind, so I tend to overdo color adjustments. I drive my wife crazy having her double check color edits.

Rob Eyers
          Participant

Hi Jay. My post was strictly in response to Diane’s request and not a critique of your edits.

I once was at a 3 day seminar on colour calibration. There were 15 of us and I was the only little guy as everyone else was from world famous manufacturers of calibration equipment. Of the 15, only three of us were within 500 degrees Kelvin of being correct at judging colour by eye. More people than one would think have issues judging colour.  The PS eyedropper and info panel are my best friends!! Cheers, Rob

Jay Ward
    Participant

good tip, thanks Rob.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Excellent learning in the posts above, Jay.  However, if you want to take it to another level,  rarely (not never) try to capture the entire building.  Look at what really appeals to you and try different angles.  Upwards can often be a rewarding choice.  Convey to us, somehow, what captivates you about this particular building.  If you then have a unique take on it, then you will leapfrog me by quite a few years in your learning!   Be adventurous, make mistakes, above all take lots and lots of images,  but try to capture for the viewer what it is that you want us to share!  ……. here endeth the sermon.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.