Fisherman

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Erik Fransman 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

3pco
    Participant

It’s crowded down at the beach now because of the holiday. The photographers and the fishermen keep pushing each other out of the way, and a few of them got into a fight yesterday before the surfers broke it up. I was shooting reflections in the surf with my new polarizer when this clown stepped right in front of me. I got this shot just before he fell off the rock.

90mm  1/2500 f/9  125

Robert Apple

Got Nothing, like it as it is.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

I like this.  Do you have any photos of the fight?  Now that would be cool!

bucweeet
    Participant

I’m thinking it needs a little bit more room on the top. But with that said, once I put it in, I would let my eyes tell me if it’s necessary or not.

Not sure how much effect the polarizer had on this particular shot….  polarizers usually work best when the sun is 90 degrees to the lens-subject line.  Then it diminishes to almost zero effect when the the sun is directly in front of the camera or directly behind the camera.

This shot looks as though the sun is almost directly in front of the camera.

Tersha
    Keymaster

I like it as it is as well, nothing to add negatively.

Falxy
    Participant

i disagree…………….slightly……….crop in slightly on the left,take out the high rock for better framing.

hey just degrees of! 🙂

3pco
    Participant

Thanks for your comments everyone. Paul, you’re absolutely right about the polarizer, I was just messing with the reflections on the water from different angles. Duncan, there’s a high rock on the right, too. Doesn’t that balance it?

bucweeet
      Participant

Thanx for the background info on the image.

Albirder
    Participant

I am betting on the fisherman in the brawl. I think it was fortuitous that this guy stepped in front of you. You needed some foreground to show off the reflections. It is a lovely silhouette. Did he really fall off of the rocks?

Graham Hart
    Participant

I like this one a lot (I am a fisho afterall). You might have cursed the way he walked into your scene Paul but I think it was a great piece of luck. That ‘clown’ makes this shot.

What I like most is the way the fisherman is the darkest part of the image, which ironically makes him the focal point amid the various shades of grey. I just love the light on the water, the surf breaking and the misty hills beyond. What a terrific ambience, I can smell the salty air.

Really speaks to me about fishing and just ‘being there’. That feeling of owning the space for a short time…just you and the ocean. Scenes like this are what keep me going back. (Certainly not throwing $40 worth of bait at the sea over a few hours and coming home with nothing  🙂 )

I think you have captured that feeling extremely well in this pic Paul.

3pco
    Participant

Diane, Graham, thanks for your kind words. No, he didn’t fall, he was pushed….(Also, my name is Allen).

Graham Hart
      Participant

Apologies Allen. I get confused with all the avatar names under the thumbnail images and people’s actual real names. After corresponding for some time with the regulars, I start to feel a more personal connection and the ‘nicknames’ seem a little impersonal. Think I might start a list of them so I know who’s who in the zoo.

Falxy
    Participant

nah the r/h rock works for me,the l/h not needed cus the figure.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Well you missed the moment that he fell off the rock. Shame!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.