ford vs nature

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  John Thompson 7 months ago.

• Author

beth
    Participant

spoiler alert – nature is winning.

found these abandoned beauties in an empty roadside lot on a back road in the florida panhandle.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Great find Beth. I hope you spent some time shooting details and angles. One doesn’t find these every day.

beth
      Participant

thanks.  i didn’t shoot details cause i was in a hurry to meet up with my brother.  plus it was raining and there were monster spiders and mosquitoes everywhere in typical floridian fashion.  but i think i can find them again when i have more time..

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Old junked cars make wonderful photographic subjects. A bit surprised that the middle one has intact windshield.

beth
      Participant

they’re one of my favorite things.  i’ve been looking all through the appalachians for the perfect rusty junker in a field shot and it pretty much dropped into my lap in florida of all places.  the windshield is mostly intact,  it had some cracks running through that are pretty faint, and a chunk of glass missing at the bottom of the passenger’s side

John Thompson

Dave you are right plus that windshield could be worth a few bucks.  Antique car restorers might be looking for just that item.  My oldest son has an auto shop and he has restored a few gems and the price for OEM parts can be eye opening.

Great find Beth.  When I first moved to LV there were many abandoned cars around the city perimeter along with old washing machines, refrigerators, and couches.  They were great for target practice.

beth
      Participant

i think it was just damaged enough to be worthless.   you can barely make out some triangular cracks in the image.  do you have any photos of the junk around lv?  i’d be in my glory shooting the trash in the desert.  i’ve always wanted to visit the neon sign graveyard in vegas.

John Thompson

No Beth I do not have any photos of the junk that used to litter the desert.  I also would like to visit the neon graveyard because many or most of the signs in there I remember being in use!  One day I may try to go but I understand the entry fee is high.  Perhaps I am wrong.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Fantastic images — muted tones make somehow gives the cars even more personality.   Can’t decide which is my favorite – I love the plants in #1, but also the rust designs on the grille in #2, plus its Dumbo ears getting ready to flap so it can fly away (open doors).

beth
      Participant

thanks. #1 was my personal favorite and #2 is a close 2nd.  so i printed both and have them in my den.

Preston
    Participant

Great set Beth!  For being a quick shoot, I feel you caught the defeated personality of the cars quite well. I especially like #3 since it has a lot of varying angles with the way the doors are open, the bumper is falling off, and the off-kilter hood.

beth
      Participant

so you don’t think it would pass inspection at the dmv?  thanks preston!

Robert Apple

Those are great Beth.

beth
      Participant

thanks robert!

Graham Hart
    Participant

Love em all! I’d love to go there at night with lighting gear and shoot some spooky moody stuff (if I knew how!) Number three is my fave because the surroundings provide a stronger abandoned feel for me.

beth
    Participant

nighttime shots would be sweet at this location.  number 3 was the only one i could show more background on.  there were probably 12 cars and trucks arranged in a 2 rows with that one or two just hanging out by itself.  I shot slightly wide because i was in a rush so the edges were cropped to remove the tiny bits of the neighboring cars from the shot.

here’s some of the other beauties out there:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.