Forum is Going Great, But Anyone Having Problems?

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Forum is Going Great, But Anyone Having Problems?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Wood (Admin) 6 years ago.

• Author

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

So the new setup seems to have more than doubled participation which means people are finding it easier which is great!

But also a few folks are having problems posting.

Either something they post simply disappears after they hit submit. Or it simply doesn’t post. Or they get the “Error” message.

If this has happened to you, can you please post here. Please include EXACTLY what you were trying to do and in which forum and what happened after you did it. If you can post the URL of where you were doing it, that would be great too. Also what browser you are using. The more info the better!

Also, if you change what didn’t work (remove some text or a link from the post) sometimes it will work the second time. (Thanks @ed-aldridge for this tip).

We are working on fixing all this, but we cannot replicate the problem so it’s very difficult. We need as much information as you can give us!)

Richard Wood
    Participant

I am beset with typos and sorely miss the EDIT button after I have posted something

Richard Wood
    Participant

Of course there is an EDIT button here… but it’s not always present

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

@camerasinger – It’s only available for 30 minutes after a post. Should we make it longer?

Also, I think we may have fixed the posting problems that @redman and @ed-aldridge were having. There were a bunch of spam keywords that were blocking post, but a lot of the keywords were not very spammy. So I have removed the list.

🙂

Rachael Towne
    Participant

I had a problem posting a new topic last night. The first few times after I hit submit everything just disappeared and the third time I got an error. This morning I tried again with a similar post and it posted just fine.

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

We made a few changes so hopefully that will stop happening for people. 🙂

Karen Amendola
    Participant

It looks like the dust has settled and everything is clear, clean and smooth. Nice work!

Richard Wood
    Participant

Yes it should be longer… because I am a bit slow to recognize my own mistakes

Tersha
    Keymaster

not a problem, per se, but when I log out the top of the page always says ‘WordPress Error Notice’, now………?

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Ahh – somebody else mentioned that to me – thanks, I will look into it @terha!

Dewet
    Participant

How deo I join a forum? Cannot see where.

Richard Wood
    Participant

Post to to a forum and you automatically join that forum

Beverley Aston
    Participant

Rob it was me that was getting and still am the same error message as @tersha

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

@camerasinger – you now have 3 hours to edit a post. 🙂

@beverley – Can you please clear your cache. I am pretty sure that problem has been resolved, and I suspect your computer has an old version of the site cached. 🙂

Beverley Aston
    Participant

Rob I have cleared it but it’s still happening and sometimes although I’ve clicked log out I now find that I’m actually still in here but I will do another clear cache..

Beverley Aston
    Participant

Rob I know this is a little late in for an idea but would it be an idea to restrict folk to loading only a few photo’s say maybe no more than three at a time…we seem to have times when a member (more often than not some-one who has just joined!!) load many photo’s and then they vanish off the scene!!

Beverley Aston
    Participant

Ok I’ve just cleared the cache again etc but I’m still getting the word press error after logging out from here !!

Mike Dean
    Participant

I’m with you on this @beverley. Maybe the critique forum you mentioned Rob @admin would be good for people to add these kinds of images to?

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Ok, fixing the log out error is next on the list!

Yeah, I think we might put the critiques forum up, @beverley and @thepaparazzo – I know what you mean about the pump and dump of a few new members – lol.

Maybe restrict all forums to CONVERSATIONS – ie, you can post an image, but it has to be accompanied by a conversation starter or a questions.

Then the “critiques” forum where you can post just an image and people can offer their thoughts on it.

Does that sound about right?

tom dinning
    Blocked

I went to post, started it, opened a new page on my iPad to grap an image from Flickr, went back to LS and the post was gone.
    Repeated the process and did it again.

I get that intermittently as well Tom @tomdinning.

I like that idea Rob @admin. Conversations & critiques having separate purposes.

Mike Dean
    Participant

I have that problem too when using my iPad with chrome as the browser. It’s usually the webpage reloading when I change tabs though, as it happens on other site not just LS.

Mike Dean
    Participant

That sounds like the right idea Rob @admin. I think maybe push the photo viewing gallery a little more so people feel less obliged to post just pictures. Or maybe a more sophisticated system? I appreciate that will be a hell of a lot of work though.

Mike Dean
    Participant

So two things Rob @admin

1) Any idea why the forums appear differently in IE and Chrome (I don’t have firefox to test with)? I prefer how they show in IE, but use Chrome as my preferred browser (I have it synced on all my many devices for bookmarks and all that jazz). Images seem to appear squished width ways on Chrome.

2) Just throwing an idea out there… Would it be possible to set LS so that when you click an external link or an image to view it larger (either to LS hosted content or elsewhere such as Flickr, 500px) could it open in a new tab? I appreciate that is probably a personal preference thing. Anyone else think this might be worth while?!

These are tiny insignificant things though, you’ve done an amazing job.
    So much activity on here now, it’s so hard to keep up!

Alison McDonald
    Participant

No problems, just me getting used to things. I’ve been away for a while and am finding the new forum format a little disconcerting. I’m missing not being able to scan a lot of threads at a glance, but I guess I’ll get used to that. Are we all set to West Coast America time? That was a little disconcerting too. I’m used to that on forums but not here so much. I’m LOVING being able to post direct from the text box – that’s fabulous.

Lee
    Participant

I have just joined Light Stalking and tried my first pos this morning, after posting I see that both the photos I posted have been posted twice. I would like to post more but do not want to duplicate all the time, what am I doing wrong. The posts are in the Weekend Forum “Fine Feathered Friends”, I’m not sure how to give the URL for this.

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Looks to me like you are copying the code, pasting it into a text editor (like MS Word) and then pasting that into a reply.

Don’t use MS Word or similar – they tend to add all sorts of extra rubbish to the code.

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

@thepaparazzo – any chance of some screen shots?

Not sure about the opening in new tabs – default is usually same tab – I usually just use CTRL + click to open in a new tab. (Personally I prefer it your way, but I can kind of see people getting upset if it’s default) Thoughts?

Mike Dean
    Participant

OK Rob @admin, I was totally wrong. Sorry! I think it was Safari on my iPad that showed a different layout. Here’s the squashed picture in Chrome (and it seems to be the same in IE too having just checked). If the max image width is 500px why is this one squashing down? It’s using the HTML link straight from Flickr. Again it’s no biggie, just something I’ve noticed on a few posts around the site.

And for the links thing I tend to do the same on the computer with the ‘control’ key. I’m just lazy when using my iPad and always forget it doesn’t open in new tab! No worries…

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Yeah, I think I will have the forum widened to take the 640 pix width from Flickr. Should be pretty easy…. I think.

Peg Miller
    Participant

Hi there @admin … looked everywhere trying to figure out how to unsubscribe from a forum … I get dozens of emails per day and I only wanted an email when someone comments or replies to me specifically. How do I turn this off?

I signed in, went to my Settings, then to Forums, then to Subscriptions, but there is nothing there that allows me to unsubscribe.

Thanks.
    Peg

Richard Wood
    Participant

Periodically getting error 404 page not found when accessing forums

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Peg – can you link me to the specific reply that you you made and checked that box?

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Yeah – I get that too – I am trying to figure out how to replicate it so that I can show my coder! 🙁

Richard Wood
    Participant

not really

Peg Miller
    Participant

Yes, but I replied to several other folks on their photos too. Does that matter? I had no idea it would generate this much email. 😉

Here it is:” http://www.lightstalking.us/forums/topic/weekend-photography-challenge-138-flowers/page/3#reply-93271

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Ok, I have edited that to untick the notifications box. Hopefully that fixes it!

It’s your own fault for making that thread so damn popular!! lol

😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.