Framing Tom Falls

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Steve Walker
      Participant

We visited Deep Creek in the Great Smokies near Bryson City in October at what turned out to be the height of autumn color. Tom Falls is about 200 yards from the trail head and is one of 3 easily accessible waterfalls along the well tended trails. My wife called me over to use the overhead branch to frame the water.

framing tom falls<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

John Thompson

Nice one Steve.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow! Love it Steve. What a beautiful place to be! 🙂

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

That’s a beautiful shot, those autumn colors look splendid!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Excellent light and colors. A very peaceful feeling. Such a beautiful spot.

Steve Walker
      Participant

Thanks, folks. There is even a bench just out of the frame and you can sit for as long as you like.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Beautiful shot Steve, I like the framing.

Frank
      Participant

Nicely composed.  Wonderful golden color.  Makes me want to go there.   (The water, especially at the top falls looks a bit grey to me…maybe try a dodge or some other way to brighten or whiten it a bit?)  That branch really does add an interest.  It is like a big arm leading us to the falls.

Steve Walker
        Participant

Thanks, Frank. It is shaded up there, and the stream was thin making the rocks show through. Some of the leaves near that height are blown out, showing the difficulty in getting the whites bright. On a few images, I have used the adjustment brush to lighten the thin stream and should have here.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Steve Walker.
        • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Steve Walker.
      Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Very nice, indeed! well done Steve!

Tobie

Lovely spot Steve. I can see myself spending time there.

Steve Walker
      Participant

There’s a nice little bench right there as well as some steps down to the water that make sitting easy. I’ll bet there is little foot traffic this time of year.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.