Geese. Everywhere. Darn it!

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Geese. Everywhere. Darn it!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Hart 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

This time of year, we get socked by migrating Canadian Geese. I mean, they fill the lakes and ponds, poop everywhere and cause traffic holdups as they cross the roads. I normally don’t take pictures because they are so common, but yesterday I was at the lake I thought I’d try a different, more unusual, approach. I kinda like it.

John Thompson

I would love to watch migrating birds.  We have so few birds here in the desert.  Pigeons, doves and black birds mostly.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

I am working on learning to catch them in flight, but man is it tricky! I hope to someday catch them as they land on the water. I love the way they ski on their feet until they are slow enough to sit down. I’m beginning to understand how they make their approach to the water, and should be better able to position myself in the future.

Tom M
    Participant

Nice capture here Bruce. Way to think outside the box…

Tersha
    Keymaster

I like it Bruce, they look good through the grass.

Graham Hart
    Participant

They look like Meerkats of the bird world, LOL. Managed to get a pelican walking on water once.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Sweet shot! The feather spread on his wings are amazing.

Tobie

Lovely shot Bruce! We have similar issues with Egyptian Geese but I love to snap them from time to time. They offer nice action shots when landing or when fighting for territory. Took this one of a landing on Saturday.

goose

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

That’s a beautiful shot, Tobie!

I’m starting to experiement with birds in motion… Not much success yet, but I’ll keep at it. I think geese will be a good place to start as they are such a large bird and not so quick. Ducks are like little fighter jets!

Tobie

Thanks Bruce! Fast shutter speed (1/800s – 1/1600s), continuous shooting mode, continuous focusing via the backbutton. Your camera will focus easier on a bird flying left to right (or visa versa) from you than on a bird flying towards you (depending on your lens). In the last case try to focus on it as soon as possible and keep focus on it until you release the shutter.

Focus is easier with the sky as background rather than land.

Bruce Gordon
          Participant

Sound advice! I will put it to use as soon as I’m off work again and can go play.

Federico Alegria
    Participant

Mother of goose!

Robert Apple

To Quote Ron White.
    “I ran for president of the United States, and I don’t think I won, because nobody’s called and I quit watching television. My platform was a little different than our president’s platform. He wants to build a wall between the US and Mexico to keep out immigrants, and I wanted to build a net between the US and Canada to keep those F—ing geese out of here. I F—ing hate geese. I F—ing hate ’em. I got attacked by a goose when I was a kid. I never got over it. My uncle was a Baptist preacher, and I was at his little white clapboard Baptist church in a little bitty town in Texas and I was sitting– Vacation bible school. I’m on the back porch of the church, eating my little sandwich, six years old, drinking my Kool-Aid. This goose comes out of this pond like a F—ing killing machine. [squawk] Bites me on the F—ing leg. Steals my sandwich. Leaves me shudder-crying. [sobbing] I had nightmares about it my entire goddamn childhood. I F—ing hate ’em. They’re not natural. Geese aren’t natural. They’re not. The way they cross the street right in front of F—ing cars with that weird-ass confidence. “Yo, bitch, what the F— you going to do about it?” Lock those beady eyes on you. “I got 17 friends behind me. Nobody’s moving till we get across this street.” They could have flown over the F—ing street. I’m in my car, all intimidated. I’m like, “What do I even do? I can put my car in drive and roll over your ass. Nobody would give a shit.” I wouldn’t do it. Nobody in this F—ing room would do it. You know why? ‘Cause we’re scared to F—ing death of geese. Nobody wants to talk about it but me. And we should be afraid of geese too, and I’ll tell you why. A goose is the only animal on the planet could take a jetliner out of the F—ing sky and make it land on the Hudson River. That’s what happened to that plane Sully landed on the Hudson River. Geese started flying through the engines of that jet. Radical terrorist Canadian geese!”

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Now THAT is funny! Thanks for sharing!

Graham Hart
      Participant

I soooo identify with this. I live in Adelaide, famous for the parklands which completely surround the city square mile. Very beautiful BUT, populated by ducks and swans (amongst other birds). They can hold up peak hour city traffic for ages while they decide to waddle from one patch of grass to another which is across the main road through the heart of the city. I’ve even seen council workers in hi-viz vests directing traffic around them while they slowly waddle along. Beep your horn at them and they look at you with a “Hey, I’m walkin’ here!” stare.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.