Good Morning Immenstadt.

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Good Morning Immenstadt.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Eyers 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Immenstadt, Southern Germany.

Fujifilm X-T3, 56mm, f/8, 1/125s, ISO 160.

Please click for Flickr. Bigger is better.
    Good Morning Immenstadt

Vincenzo
    Participant

Hi Erik,

Thank for sharing this shot. I like the foggy atmosphere and the colors. However, the composition doesn’t tell much to me. I would crop the “half-house” on the left side with the very foggy background. I suggest you also to increase a bit the sharpness and a little bit the saturation. I would put a bit more emphasis on the red and green to increase the contrast between these two colors.

Vincenzo

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Hi Vincenzo,
      Thank you for your reply.
      I am a bit puzzled by what you say, “the half house on the left”. I do not see a half house on the left. I do see one on the right and it makes sense to try to crop that.

I do not want to increase sharpness, that takes away the soft-focus foggy morning.
      For the same reason, I do not want to increase the saturation.
      The fog makes everything soft and foggy as it should. Well IMHO.

Petr Nowak
    Participant

Erik, I understand the try to catch foggy morning. However I wonder if any better angle would be possible. A lot of buildings don’t form any interesting subject. I think how to do it better and the only solution I’ve found is to delete it and try better next time. Here in ST I always don’t limit my critique in any way. So I think what I’d do with such an image myself. I’d delete this one. 🙁
    Maybe other participants will have better advice…

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Erik, I like the feel.   The pile of stuff in the bright sunlight really attracts my eye and is a bit of a distraction.   I would look at either darkening it or eliminating it.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Was this near sunrise Erik? If so, I’m thinking that it could be a lot warmer as it’s very blue. For me it would be more dramatic if there was some contrast between the foggy parts and some area that was in the clear. Maybe the trees on the other side of the valley could be used as they appear to be above the fog. If contrast was added to them that might add some juxtaposition. For me it’s not quite working as it is.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Lenny, I see what you mean with the pile of stuff in the bright sunlight. I am hesitant taking it out or darkening it because that’s the pile they will have to start working on when they get up. It’s waiting there for them. Let me thik about it.

Rob, it was 7.25 AM.
    You like this better?

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Yes, for me the colour balance is more what I would expect Erik.

Tom M
    Participant

I agree with Rob’s comments about contrast and perhaps a little more saturation. It is a rather flat image, due to the fog of course,but it does need some contrast somewhere. Not sure exactly where though. Perhaps in the trees in background and perhaps the grass in foreground. Also the 1/2 bldg. on the right needs to be cropped…

Dan H
    Participant

I agree that the right building should be cropped.  Great atmosphere but this might be one where if you were closer to the buildings, it would have been more powerful.  Boosting the contrast might make the clouds pop and you really don’t need to see through them for the image anyway.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

And a cropped version:

Rob Eyers
        Participant

? Erik I’m curious if the hills behind extended up and out of the fog. A portrait landscape might have been nice if it did. Of course I have no idea as I wasn’t there and that may not have been an option.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.