Gymnast from Santa Parade revisited

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Gymnast from Santa Parade revisited

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lenny Wollitz 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Mistyisle
    Participant

I looked at this image this morning and thought that it had potential, so have decluttered quite a bit, taking out powerlines, signs etc.  Love the expressions on the faces.  Should I take out the black bag on the bottom right?  Guess, I should (sigh).  Would it be worth continuing?   I did think of putting in a completely new background behind the watchers, which would be relatively easy.   Settings were f5.0; 1/4000sec;  ISO800; 34mms

billyspad
    Blocked

Very nice street capture and whats so wrong with the black bag? Take that out and you have to rebuild the kids leg that’s behind it and that is some very serious photoshopping. Black bag is fine in my book but I would take out the walking guy half hidden in the blue shirt or at the very least reduce the color in his shirt and arms. He just catches the eye and distracts from a great shot. Did this guy land safely or make my day and tell me he fell on his ass lol.

Mistyisle
    Participant

VG suggestion, Billy.  After taking out a good few things, I was mentally tired.  By that stage, you can miss things.  I will take him out.  Re, your question, he did land safely, these guys were very good – from a local gym and fitness centre.  I have another good pic, which I saw quite a bit before this one.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Here is the revised image with the guy in blue taken out.  Am wondering now about taking the flowers out from between his legs and the blue bit on his t-shirt, which tends to draw the eyes.  Any thoughts on that or anything else?

billyspad
    Blocked

Just desaturate those areas a little. A lot easier than removing them and with less saturation they will not show up as much. If you use Photoshop a Hue and Saturation adjustment layer with a black mask and paint out the ares in white. If you do not use PS you should and your on ya own lol.

You need to do a bit more work on the bush where you removed the guy. It shows that something has been there.

Albirder
    Participant

This is a lot of post processing for a street photo, but it is definitely improving the image. Hats off to you for being able to do it. It appears to me that your focal point was on the plane of his shoes, not the plane of his face. It is a small detail, but a snag for me. In the big picture, though, this is not boring street photography. Any day you produce an interesting street photo is a good day!

Mistyisle
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback again.  Billy, I did try desaturate, but also tried matching the roof as an alternative and it was pretty easy.  Think I have fixed the hedge??

Diane, you are so right about the shoes and head.  I have added some gaussian blur and some motion blur to the shoes and lower body.  To the head and upper body I have applied strong unsharp mask sharpening using edge detection.  I learnt a couple of days ago how to do edge sharpening in Lightroom, but this particular edge detection and sharpening (and also the blurring) were done in Affinity Photo.

Have also added a subtle vignette.  Be really glad to know what you think now – don’t hold back!  Should I blur the onlookers a bit?

billyspad
    Blocked

There comes a time when a picture is finished and sometimes we who make them do not recognize when that moment has been reached! No more work required,its great as it is and would look unnatural with background figures out of focus or blurred. They are too close to the action.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Jim, I like it a lot. Possibly a slight vignette which makes the center of the image, the jumper, stand out a little more.

Right time to click, right place to be.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

You did a great job with removing the guy in blue shirt! The image looks ”cleaner” and uncluttered now.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

The version witout the blue shirt looks good Jim.  You can dot eyes and cross tees until the cows come home but I would leave it as is.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.