Hamadryus Baboon

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Mistyisle
      Participant

One of my lucky shots, though I did recognise the occasion.  Settings were f6.3;  1/500sec;  ISO 720;  195 mms (292.5 equiv) on a Nikon D5200 with a Nikkor 18-300 lens 3.5-6.3.  Cropped initially to not show the very apparent genitalia, however, thinking about it now, the outcome concentrates the view where it is best, regardless.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Very interesting, Jim. I really like it. My comments are borne only from personal opinion. It’s quite fine as it stands. I would clone out the whiter areas in the background, and perhaps ever so slightly darken the background a bit.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Hi, Jim.   His expression is fascinating; I really like it.   I find the background color to be very distracting, and feel it undermines the beautiful soft tones of the fur.   I would try desaturating the background a lot and see what you think.  I also wonder if there is a way to lighten the eye area.   Have fun!

Mistyisle
      Participant

Thanks Kent and Anne, for your very useful suggestions.  I have altered the background and as I post, notice again Kent’s comment saying “ever so slightly”.  Oops, may have gone more than that, but anyhow!

Anne, I had brightened the eyes and changed the contrast a bit already, but having had another look have now brightened just the whites of the eyes.  The teeth draw the attention, but the eyes now match better, I hope!

Jasenka G
      Participant

Love this shot, looks like a lady with a fresh perm 🙂

Jokes aside, I think Kent’s suggestion was great and your last edit proves it.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Great image, Jasenka – a lady with a fresh perm.  The hair on this gal (I guess?) is amazing.   Jim, I definitely like the darker background color better.  I wonder what you think if you desaturate it quite a bit?    I’m not sure what causes the halo around the baboon in the background – regardless of background color — the limits of my understanding of pp.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Yes, you are dead right Anne.  In fact the halo was caused by the vignette I had added, so have now removed it.  Fine without.  I have desaturated the background too.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

The final version is perfect, Jim. Great job!

Dahlia Ambrose
        Keymaster

I like this version too Jim. Sharp details 🙂

beth
        Participant

really like this version, the baboon pops more.

Greg
      Participant

Love this latest version. The background blends well with the darker colors around the chin and makes the face just pop. The original background looked like he was on the bump at Wrigley Field.

Hope there was plenty of safety measures between you and those incisors.

Frank
      Participant

Sheltering in place my hair looked a bit like this.  So, I gave myself a haircut.  Now I really do not want to go out in public.   But, at least I can stay in and enjoy fun photos like this one. Great capture and congratulations on nailing the focus!

Tobie

Misty beat me to it so thumbs up to his last edit. 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author