• https://www.flickr.com/photos/livingsta/
        • Allows Edits: Yes
        @dahliaambrose
        • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
        • Mobile Maestro Icon
        • Member’s Pick Icon
        • Throwdowner Icon
        Allows Edits? Yes

This time around we learn a little more about Pat, (Patricia Garrett AKA @PAToGraphy)

• Tell us a little about yourself and your photography journey.

I am a retired Registered Nurse with a long career in medical geriatrics and unit education. In my educator role, I used photography skills to produce and present educational material in unique, interesting ways. As a nurse, I participated several times on medical teams that provided care and education to rural peoples of the country of Moldova. We (my husband and I) have been fortunate to travel to Far East Russia as well as Italy, Greece, Turkey, Brazil and a number of other countries. No matter where, I carried a camera to document our journeys.( More specifics on my photo journey below.

Where do you live?

We’ve lived in southern Maine for 49 years (prior to that, I lived in Michigan and New Jersey). Our town, once rural, has become suburbia, but manages to maintain rural character. Our home is a 200+ year old farm house (restored by my husband). We are within easy distance of the Maine coast, cities (Portland and two hours to Boston) and revitalized mill towns. In the opposite direction are Maine’s western mountains, the Appalachian trail and New Hampshire’s White Mountains. I live in “Photography Heaven” – a location with access to a wide variety of terrain, history, architecture and many photo opportunities afforded by Maine’s four seasons.

Hobbies & interests?

Music has been part of my life since grade school. I continue with private violin lessons and I play in a local symphony orchestra of university music students and community musicians. My husband restores and shows antique motorcycles. He goes to meets to network and “show”. I enjoy the opportunity to practice a different type of photography. Both of us are active in our church. We have two adult children and enjoy two delightful grandsons.

How long have you had an interest in Photography? / What got you interested in photography?

I don’t remember NOT having a camera. I was the designated family “historian” (my parents must have spent a fortune on film and developing for me!). I have close to 100 photo albums from 1950s through 2011. In 2006, I went all digital and now “albums” live on external drives. Growing up, our coffee table was stacked high with NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC and LIFE magazines. I poured over these magazines, dreaming of far off places and asking myself “How do people get these photographs?” The “how” fascinated me. I tried to replicate in my snapshots what I saw in these images. Now, much later in life, I realize I was “seeing” and trying to replicate the foundations of composition, lines, focus of interest, and story telling.   So, my photography journey began with images in two famous magazines and a Brownie camera.

In the last two decades I have seriously pursued the challenges and delights of photography in many forms.

• What is the best advice you have received so far regarding photography?

ALWAYS have a camera with you  and READ: your camera manuals! (or watch videos about your camera)

• How do you maintain inspiration?

This has been tough over the last  year. Participating in Light Stalking is a huge factor in keeping me motivated. Renting a lens for a few days has also been a great strategy for chasing the “dulls” away. I’ve used “pandemic time” to take advantage of on-line photography courses. Exploring images and books by or about other photographers (local or historic) also kickstarts my imagination. Time spent on a beach along the coast never fails to re-invigorate me.

• What is your favourite subject to shoot & why?

It’s easier to identify the subjects I don’t or won’t shoot: weddings, large events, food, sports, or pets because of the stress, pressure and physical demands they generate for me. I enjoy abstracts, architecture, water, weather, and candids of the grandsons and family. Ocean and coastal scenes are among my favorites. I photograph a lot of “nature” because I am surrounded by it. I shoot “vintage still life” because our house and barn hold endless possibilities. All of these subjects allow me to take my time, experiment and be creative. I’d like to try water drops and blazing steel wool. I’m willing to try almost anything –  provided there’s no reptile or nasty bug attached!

• How would you describe your photographic journey to date?

Steady, but not speedy. My journey started young and it wasn’t an intentional journey at the time. In the recent twenty years, my journey has become both intent and intense. Seeds of curiosity gradually grew into my current passion. There are dull times when I can’t seem to shoot one decent frame out of a hundred.  In between are creative bursts, new skills and the gratification of making the shot I envisioned. My journey continues at a quickening pace.

Self taught/Formal training?

I’m mostly self taught, which means I have no college or school credits in media. Art classes in high school years ago, proved foundational for understanding basic composition, perspective, color and the art of “seeing”. I’ve taken on-line courses and recently finished a comprehensive Photoshop course – and I still get “lost” in it! There are the constant updated tutorials for my editing programs too. I did fulfill a childhood “dream”in the recent past and attended a National Geographic Photography workshop. I take advantage of photography courses offered through the local University’s “Senior College” or our district Adult Education classes.

Mentor?

I’ve not had the opportunity to “apprentice” with anyone, but I am fortunate to have several photographers in my life who are helpful critics, cheerleaders and teachers.  They willingly share their expertise and advice. Unfortunately, none are close by.

• Are you currently involved with any photography projects? If so, what?

Not at the moment. Last year at this time I was busy documenting life in our house during “The First 100 Days of a Pandemic” – a selfie a day pertinent to news or our daily activities. Eventually this pandemic project became a photo book. I have no specific projects at this time.

• If you could only use one camera/lens combination for a year, which would you choose?

Definitely my Nikon Z6 and I’d be sure to find a way to purchase  the Nikon Z series 70-200 f2.8 lens before the year started!

• What is your favorite image right now?

This may be my all time favorite image because of the young man in the canoe (my grandson) and the way in which light, color, and canoe all came together at the right place at the right time at the right angle. The image placed Second in “Lifestyle” category in the 2019 Down East Magazine 5th Annual Reader Photo Contest.

• Is there a photographer that inspires you?

In addition to the historical “greats”, there are two photographers I find particularly inspiring. Simon Shaw, a digital artist from London, UK. His contemporary and futuristic works – all photographic- introduced me to image concepts I never knew existed. A dying flower, for example, may be transformed into a vibrant work of art light years away from the original image. Simon’s visual creations are a testament to his advice: “experiment, and keep experimenting because unless you do, you’ll never know the creativity deep within”. Simon’s works challenge me to experiment.

Eric Storm  is a local photographer who captures all things Maine. Eric’s admirable talent is his eye for observing common, recognizable scenes and subjects. What he “sees” is then presented from a totally different perspective, with unusual lighting, or focused on a subject easily overlooked. Eric will sometimes accompany an image with an interesting story about the image or his efforts to capture the scene. There are many excellent Maine photographers but for me, Eric’s work communicates the essence of Maine and NewEngland. His images challenge me to see the “usual” sights in “unusual”, refreshing ways.

• What is your biggest challenge when it comes to photography?

My biggest challenge(s) now are associated with age related physical changes and the development of ways to effectively compensate. A backpack is

too heavy, some lenses are way too heavy. It’s awkward carrying a tripod along with a walking stick! I’m no longer a sure footed twenty year old and distance walking eliminates many favorite sites and most photo shoot tours. Changing eyesight means autofocus is a “must” because manual focus is never focused. Kneeling, squatting and stooping have been replaced by flip screens, zoom lenses and remote triggers. Safety becomes an issue as I have no “photo buddy” or group, making it unwise to strike out alone in the dark of night for night shots or Milky Way practice. The situation can be frustrating and discouraging, but I am thankful there are ways to continue my photo journey even if in different ways using different equipment. Limitations push me to try new things (like macro and studio still life), I’ve gone mostly mirrorless, and I’ve discovered some creative ways to move gear. My expertise now includes an expanding list of easily, safely accessed, satisfying shoot sites. I refuse to give up something that means a lot to me and is essential to my mental well being!.

• Is there anything specific you intend to learn or improve in your photography?

I intend to continue learning the capabilities of my cameras and editing programs. I would like to learn how to make some of the beautiful water drops posted in Light Stalking. More “smoke” images, still life and macro are in my future.

• If people want to follow more of your work where should they go?

• Provide links to some of your favourite images that can be displayed with the interview

Reflected in Pinks

Pier Shadows

Model A in a Blizzard

Fall in New England

cc: @admin

Here is a list of our members who were featured in the past if you would love to read. I have attached a link to their profile and their interview.

Diane Wehr   @albirder : Introducing Diane Wehr

Tobie   @tobiepsg : Introducing Tobie

Rob Eyers  @reyers   : Introducing Rob Eyers

Duncan Stewart  @falxy : Introducing the Falx

John Thompson  @nikon-nut : Introducing Nikon nut 

Valery  @valeryp  : Introducing Valery

Tom Dinning  @tomdinning : Introducing Tom Dinning

Christina Brown  @Chrissiebee : Introducing Chrissie Bee

Bobbie  @bobbie : Introducing Bobbie

Gordon James  @gordonjames : Introducing Gordon James

Chris Pook  @chrispook  : Have you met Chris Pook?

Erik Fransman  @erik-fransman : Have you met Erik Fransman?

Gary Zerbst  @garyzerbst  : Have you met Gary Zerbst?

Allen Furst  @3pco : Have you met Allen Furst?

Jim  @Mistyisle : Have you met Jim?

Frogdaily  @frogdaily : Have you met Frogdaily?

Robert Apple  @robertapple : Have you met Robert Apple?

Steve Matten  @stevematten : Have you met Steve Matten?

Cornelia Acorn  @corneliaacorn : Have you met Cornelia Acorn?

Gray B  @grayb : Have you met Gray B?

Dahlia Ambrose  @dahliaambrose : Have you met Dahlia Ambrose?

Patrick @patrickw : Have you met Patrick?

Dave  @pentaxfan : Have you met Dave?

Peter  @peternowak : Have you met Peter?

Beaky @ozride : Have you met Beaky?

Graham Hart @diripics : Have you met Graham?

Daniel Krueger @drkrueger22: Have you met Daniel?

Jasenka @jasenkag : Have you met Jasenka?

Astaroth @astaroth : Have you met Astaroth?

Joanne Van Praag @vanpraag : Have you met Joanne?

Leanne Cleaveley @leannecleaveley : Have you met Leanne?

David Chesterfield @dchester1001 : Have you met David?

Patrick
        Participant
          • https://www.instagram.com/patrickweir4/
          @patrickw-2
          • Contender Icon
          • Member’s Pick Icon
          • Throwdowner Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you for another great Interview Dahlia 🙂

Pat Thank you so much for doing this and i felt very engaged in your story from the first words to the last , my mum also spent many years in nursing when i was young and was also like you very active in the church .. I love your photos and your love for the craft is strong and it shows.

Once again Pat great reading thank you very much .. keep on keeping on  🙂

Pat Garrett
            Participant
              • https://www.instagram.com/patriciaj.garrett/
              @patography
              • Mobile Maestro Icon
              • Contender Icon
              • Member’s Pick Icon
              Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you so very much, Patrick for taking the time to read. I appreciate your comments so very much. I admire your works and creativity!

Dahlia Ambrose
              Keymaster
                • https://www.instagram.com/livingsta/
                @dahliaambrose
                • Mobile Maestro Icon
                • Member’s Pick Icon
                • Throwdowner Icon
                Allows Edits? Yes

You’re welcome Patrick 🙂

Federico Alegria
              Participant
                • https://www.instagram.com/federico.alegria/
                @federicoalegria
                • Contender Icon
                • Member’s Pick Icon
                Allows Edits? Yes

@PAToGraphy What a nice way to start my day!

Pat Garrett
                  Participant
                    @patography
                    • Mobile Maestro Icon
                    • Contender Icon
                    • Member’s Pick Icon
                    Allows Edits? Yes

@federicoalegria – why, thank you, very much. And, yes, I finally got on instagram – thanks to your prodding some time ago!

ElinL
                  Participant
                    • elinlaxdal1
                    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/40843248@N07/
                    @elax
                    • Contender Icon
                    • Photo of the Year Winner Icon
                    • Member’s Pick Icon
                    • Throwdowner Icon
                    Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you so much for sharing your story Pat – it was such a lovely and entertaining read ! Thank you Dahlia yet another great interview.

Pat Garrett
                      Participant
                        @patography
                        • Mobile Maestro Icon
                        • Contender Icon
                        • Member’s Pick Icon
                        Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you, Elinl

Dahlia Ambrose
                        Keymaster
                          • https://www.instagram.com/livingsta/
                          @dahliaambrose
                          • Mobile Maestro Icon
                          • Member’s Pick Icon
                          • Throwdowner Icon
                          Allows Edits? Yes

You’re welcome Elin 🙂

Greg
                        Participant
                          • https://www.flickr.com/photos/greghaab/
                          @glegg
                          • Member’s Pick Icon
                          Allows Edits? Yes

Thanks for sharing, Pat. I have admired your work, and I appreciate the links to Simon Shaw and Eric Storm.

Pat Garrett
                            Participant
                              @patography
                              • Mobile Maestro Icon
                              • Contender Icon
                              • Member’s Pick Icon
                              Allows Edits? Yes

@glegg Thank you so much for reading and for you comments, Greg. Glad you enjoyed the links to Simon and Eric.

Rob Wood (Admin)
                            Keymaster
                              • https://instagram.com/lightstalking
                              • https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightstalking
                              @admin-2
                              • Mobile Maestro Icon
                              • Contender Icon
                              • Socialite Icon
                              Allows Edits? Yes

Love this. Great to know more about you @patography – And those accompanying shots are fantastic!

Pat Garrett
                                Participant
                                  @patography
                                  • Mobile Maestro Icon
                                  • Contender Icon
                                  • Member’s Pick Icon
                                  Allows Edits? Yes

@admin  Thanks, Rob. LS means a lot to me and I find it a very nurturing and inspiring community. LS has challenged me in so many ways. Thank you for this site.

Rob Wood (Admin)
                                    Keymaster
                                      • https://instagram.com/lightstalking
                                      • https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightstalking
                                      @admin-2
                                      • Mobile Maestro Icon
                                      • Contender Icon
                                      • Socialite Icon
                                      Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you for saying that @patography – the best thing about this site is this little group of awesome people who have come together around it.

David Chesterfield
                                    @dchester1001
                                    • Mobile Maestro Icon
                                    • Contender Icon
                                    • Member’s Pick Icon
                                    Allows Edits? Yes

Beautiful images as always Pat, and good to know more about you. I don’t know what help I can be, but if you need help or advice regarding water drops, please reach out.

Pat Garrett
                                      Participant
                                        @patography
                                        • Mobile Maestro Icon
                                        • Contender Icon
                                        • Member’s Pick Icon
                                        Allows Edits? Yes

@dchester1001  Thank you, David. Your offer means a lot and in the future you just might hear from me. Perhaps I need a phot0 expedition to Australia!

David Chesterfield
                                            @dchester1001
                                            • Mobile Maestro Icon
                                            • Contender Icon
                                            • Member’s Pick Icon
                                            Allows Edits? Yes

Should that expedition happen @patography, I’ll run a session just for you!

Peter Nowak
                                        Participant
                                          • http://www.instagram.com/petr.nowak
                                          @peternowak
                                          • Contender Icon
                                          • Socialite Icon
                                          Allows Edits? Yes

Thanks for sharing your story Pat. Very nice to know more about you and know such a great long photographic story. Beautiful images. And very interesting links, especially Eric Storm.

Pat Garrett
                                            Participant
                                              @patography
                                              • Mobile Maestro Icon
                                              • Contender Icon
                                              • Member’s Pick Icon
                                              Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you so much @peternowak.

LeanneC
                                            Participant
                                              @leannecleaveley
                                              • Contender Icon
                                              • Member’s Pick Icon
                                              • Throwdowner Icon
                                              Allows Edits? Yes

Gorgeous images Pat. And so great to get to know you a little better. I always enjoy seeing your images here in Light Stalking and on IG. Wish you lived closer so I could go on some photo excursions with you as we seem to share some favourite genres and subjects!

Pat Garrett
                                                Participant
                                                  @patography
                                                  • Mobile Maestro Icon
                                                  • Contender Icon
                                                  • Member’s Pick Icon
                                                  Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you so much, Leanne. Your comments mean a lot.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

Dahlia is one of the staff writers at Light Stalking and besides writing, she also responds to customer queries, schedules social media posts and helps with product development. Get to know her better here.