• Allows Edits: Yes
        @dahliaambrose
        • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
        • Mobile Maestro Icon
        • Member’s Pick Icon
        • Throwdowner Icon
        Allows Edits? Yes

This time around we learn a little more about Paul, @paul-3

• Tell us a little about yourself and your photography journey.

o Where do you live

I’m currently living in Winnipeg, a city in central Canada and my photographic journey has been sporadic. In my late teens I started taking images and did so for a few years, but being very young at the time, the cost of film and developing was very restrictive; especially when one would take 8 pictures of a seagull on a lamp post. So my journey was short lived and over the next couple of decades, I stopped and restarted taking pictures a few times. Around 2008, my regular working life was coming to a close and I once again decided to start photography and use the images as a basis for drawing. Fortunately, as I was nearing my ’regular’ work life, I was able to purchase equipment in preparation for my retirement. Needless to say, I haven’t drawn too many of my images, however, my purchase of camera equipment is almost equal to the number of images I’ve not drawn.

o Hobbies & interests?

As for hobbies, I used to play virtually all sports until time and injuries took their toll and I had to scale back on certain activities. I have always leaned to the creative side which I believe I inherited from my father. I’ve done wood working, carving, calligraphy, pyrography (wood burning) and drawing with a specific interest in ’faces’ throughout my life, and like photography, these activities were sporadic. Currently I’m teaching myself leather work and sewing.

These are Faces 4 & 5. I did this pyrography of my wife’s parents just before they died. Initially these were to be on the front of their urns until I researched the legal requirements of urns. Now the images hold a place of prominence in our dining room.

• What is the best advice you have received so far regarding photography?

Not necessarily to photography, but when I was an instructor pilot I remember a conversation with my boss one day. He stated that our various manuals ’specifically state’ what is – not – allowed to be done with an aircraft. So, basically, if what one is going to do with an aircraft is – not – on that list… it is therefor legal to do it. I’ve carried that on through my life… That there are more than one way to look at things. If one takes the time to look at things from different angles/perspectives, quite often one is surprised at what they discover.

People often say that… rules are meant to be broken. For me, when it comes to photography… there are – no rules. There are suggestions/guidelines/accepted practices/etc… but there are – no rules. As the photographer/artist… it is what my vision is. Just look at – normal art – paintings, drawings, mediums and media used in art. There are basic principles that ’most’ adhere to, but there are a lot of artists who don’t follow a single set of rules. So when I both offer my ideas in forums, and read others thoughts and suggestions, I sometimes see how people can occasionally be locked into specific, or accepted, aspects of an art form. But that doesn’t mean I am right (or that they are right) it’s just another view point… It is the artist’s vision, and it is the artist who should ultimately decide what they like or want to achieve.

• How do you maintain inspiration?

Maintaining inspiration is a difficult question as I have sporadically done a lot of things in my life. It comes and goes. I have both learned, and strongly believe… I am exactly where I am supposed to be… doing the exact thing I am supposed to be doing… at that specific time/day in my life. So… if I was meant to be doing something different, or be somewhere else… I would be there/doing it. So I never worry about inspiration, or taking/making images, because if I was supposed to be doing that, I would be.

• What is your favourite subject to shoot & why?

I generally shoot what ever is in front of my nose. I consider myself a – reactionary – photographer. I have rarely taken the time to consciously plan out a photoshoot or a photograph. I – see something – I quickly move (if time permits) and I press the shutter. Through years of self-introspection, I know what I like, I know what looks good to my eyes so – hesitation never enters my mind as to what the image will be like. And even if it doesn’t turn out the way I want, then there is the challenge to make it the way I want in post-processing. Now the finished image may not be great, but it will definitely be a heck of a lot better than it was. Plus, quite often it’s what I have learned while moving the sliders and making adjustments in post-processing that makes the journey fun.

But if I had to choose a specific category, it would be – movement. Especially fast movement. I find it amazing what the camera captures that our eyes miss. The amount of excitement, action, movement that can happen within a split second is incredible.

• How would you describe your photographic journey to date?

For the actual taking of the image… I’m pretty much self-taught. In the last few years I have referred to the books of Roberto Valenzuela for his insights into photography.
        As for the post-processing… at the time I began following them, they weren’t mainstream per se. However, they have a much stronger following now. Ben Willmore, Aaron Nace (of Phlearn), Dave Cross (Photoshop Virtual Summit)

• Are you currently involved with any photography projects? If so, what?

I’m not really involved in any specific project per se, but I have a friend who has asked me to take fitness and general photos of her. So I’ll be doing that over the next few years.

• If you could only use one camera/lens combination for a year, which would you choose?

All my equipment is what I call, built for speed. All my camera bodies are capable of between 10-14 frames per second and I have 6 lenses that can be considered – long lenses. I play with body and lens combinations to achieve what I want. As an example I have the ability to shoot anywhere for 8mm to 960mm, without using an extender by combining different lenses and bodies. For example, if I put my 70mm-200mm f2.8 lens on my Canon 7d2 with a 1.6 crop sensor body, I am effectively using a 112mm-320mm f2.8 lens. So I will basically have a 300mm f2.8 lens for a lot less money (with today’s Canon lens prices…. about $6,000 – $7,000 less) than if I was to purchase a full frame camera and a new 300mm f2.8 lens. It’s all matter of perspective and how one approaches the situation.
        But if I had to choose just one body and one lens… it would be my ’travelling’ camera. my Canon 7d MkII (10 fps) with it’s 1.6 crop sensor and pair it with my 18-400mm Tamron lens which equates to approximately a 30mm-640mm lens. Granted the f-stop is not the greatest, but that’s why there are speedlites, flash and/or tripods. The range of images is almost unbelievable in what can be captured with this combination… and as a *bonus* the focal distance is unbelievably short when one gets to the higher focal length (a couple feet at 400mm), thus turning it into a macro lens.

• What is your favourite image right now?

I don’t have a favourite image. After working on my images and seeing them for the length of time I do, all my images lose their lustre and become somewhat blasé to me. People tell me my images are good but then again Facebook critiques are the easiest ones around… Now if I haven’t seen one the images for a few years, it occasionally catches me off-guard and I think… Hey, that was a pretty good one. But even then, that doesn’t happen often.

• Is there a photographer that inspires you?

I don’t have and never had a specific photographer that has inspired me. One just has to look at the photographers in this forum to see great photographers. The only thing missing is that they aren’t globally known.

But if I had to pick a ”style” of photographer that inspires me, it would be the infamous Tom Dinning or Falxy. If one takes the time to actually look at, and immerse themselves into their photographs… and accompanying verbiage… they are both very thought provoking. Again, it’s their ’style’ combined with their thoughts.

However, not so much for his photographic work, but for reading his thoughts and approach to photography… Roberto Valenzuela… and dependant upon one’s circle of influence may be a some what unknown. His books are phenomenal. He speaks in very layman’s terms but covers extremely diverse subjects that, I believe, a lot of photographers don’t think of.

Again, not for his photographic work, but for his thoughts and approach to photography…. Harald Mante. His book – The Photograph – on Composition and Color-Design is outstanding. For me it was a very difficult read, although his concepts are quite basic, but it’s how he approaches the composition of pictures/images that shine a new light on images in general.

• What is your biggest challenge when it comes to photography?

Getting out and taking pictures, I guess. Being retired, I have a lot of free time and very few constraints. But with that said… I have – no idea – nor know, what I do with my time, but I know I’m never bored. I do stuff.. and if I’m meant to be taking pictures on any given day, I take them when and where I can.

• Is there anything specific you intend to learn or improve in your photography?

I don’t honestly know. My mind/thoughts rarely get that far ahead. But I know if the moment arises where I think I should attempt something, I’ll do it.

• If people want to follow more of your work where should they go?

Probably the most used venue for my images is on Facebook as I occasionally post there. The second best place to view my work is here, on LS.

• Provide links to 3 or 4 of your favourite images that can be displayed with the interview

A nice sports shot….

A worker bee, literally…

Waiting to enter the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey with 500+ other people. I looked up and saw these hands peeking out from an upper window attempting to take a picture of the crowd outside the temple.

Me, Taking a Picture of You, Taking a Picture of Me

This is Horeshoe Bend on the Colorado River about 5 miles south of Paige, Arizona. It’s about a 1,000 foot (305 m) drop directly beneath my toes. My wife wasn’t too happy with me taking this image.

Horseshoe Bend

Life is short… so live it to its fullest. I was talking with a person several years ago about life in general. And we briefly discussed that statement. Living life to its fullest, does – not mean – going heli-skiing in the Alps, nor white water rafting down the Colorado River, nor bungee jumping of a high bridge. It’s the – small things in life – that happen when we aren’t looking. Like reading a good book while sitting under a tree on a warm, sunny day… Or in the middle of a cold winter, it’s snuggling under a warm blanket with the fireplace on watching your favorite movie… Or walking in a gentle, summer rain… Or watching the leaves fall as they drift and swirl in the wind. Enjoy these moments to their fullest. For it’s moments like these that make a great life… and live it to its fullest. Embrace, and enjoy, all of these moments. From one who has learned… life truly is short.

cc: @admin

Here is a list of our members who were featured in the past if you would love to read. I have attached a link to their profile and their interview.

Diane Wehr   @albirder : Introducing Diane Wehr

Tobie   @tobiepsg : Introducing Tobie

Rob Eyers  @reyers   : Introducing Rob Eyers

Duncan Stewart  @falxy : Introducing the Falx

John Thompson  @nikon-nut : Introducing Nikon nut 

Valery  @valeryp  : Introducing Valery

Tom Dinning  @tomdinning : Introducing Tom Dinning

Christina Brown  @Chrissiebee : Introducing Chrissie Bee

Bobbie  @bobbie : Introducing Bobbie

Gordon James  @gordonjames : Introducing Gordon James

Chris Pook  @chrispook  : Have you met Chris Pook?

Erik Fransman  @erik-fransman : Have you met Erik Fransman?

Gary Zerbst  @garyzerbst  : Have you met Gary Zerbst?

Allen Furst  @3pco : Have you met Allen Furst?

Jim  @Mistyisle : Have you met Jim?

Frogdaily  @frogdaily : Have you met Frogdaily?

Robert Apple  @robertapple : Have you met Robert Apple?

Steve Matten  @stevematten : Have you met Steve Matten?

Cornelia Acorn  @corneliaacorn : Have you met Cornelia Acorn?

Gray B  @grayb : Have you met Gray B?

Dahlia Ambrose  @dahliaambrose : Have you met Dahlia Ambrose?

Patrick @patrickw : Have you met Patrick?

Dave  @pentaxfan : Have you met Dave?

Peter  @peternowak : Have you met Peter?

Beaky @ozride : Have you met Beaky?

Graham Hart @diripics : Have you met Graham?

Daniel Krueger @drkrueger22: Have you met Daniel?

Jasenka @jasenkag : Have you met Jasenka?

Astaroth @astaroth : Have you met Astaroth?

Joanne Van Praag @vanpraag : Have you met Joanne?

Leanne Cleaveley @leannecleaveley : Have you met Leanne?

David Chesterfield @dchester1001 : Have you met David?

Patricia Garrett @PAToGraphy : Have you met Pat?

Beth @loki : Have you met Beth?

Elin @elax : Have you met Elin?

Greg @glegg : Have you met Greg?

John @johnteate : Have you met John?

Patrick
        Participant
          • https://www.instagram.com/patrickweir4/
          @patrickw-2
          • Contender Icon
          • Member’s Pick Icon
          • Throwdowner Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

Thanks a million Dahlia , good job 🙂

Great to read more about you Paul , good reading mate and thanks a lot for sharing a few words with us all 🙂

Dahlia Ambrose
            Keymaster
              • https://www.instagram.com/livingsta/
              • https://www.flickr.com/photos/livingsta/
              @dahliaambrose
              • Mobile Maestro Icon
              • Member’s Pick Icon
              • Throwdowner Icon
              Allows Edits? Yes

You’re welcome Patrick 🙂

Pat Garrett
            Participant
              • https://www.instagram.com/patriciaj.garrett/
              @patography
              • Mobile Maestro Icon
              • Contender Icon
              • Member’s Pick Icon
              Allows Edits? Yes

Really enjoyed reading about Paul. Thanks, Paul for sharing yourself and your many different creative talents.

Rob Wood (Admin)
              Keymaster
                • https://instagram.com/lightstalking
                • https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightstalking
                @admin-2
                • Mobile Maestro Icon
                • Contender Icon
                • Socialite Icon
                Allows Edits? Yes

Good to know more about you Paul!

Marty E
                Participant
                  @martye
                  • Contender Icon
                  Allows Edits? Yes

Hi Paul, welcome! Thank you for your beautifully-written answers to Dahlia’s questions. Your photos are wonderful, I know we all look forward to seeing more of your work. Your pyrography faces 4 & 5 of your wife’s parents are just great, you have a real knack for capturing personality in what must be a difficult art form!

Federico Alegria
                  Participant
                    • https://www.instagram.com/federico.alegria/
                    @federicoalegria
                    • Contender Icon
                    • Member’s Pick Icon
                    Allows Edits? Yes

I always find these interviews fascinating, it is a privilegie to witness so many great photography-related life-stories, thanks for doing this @dahliaambrose, and great to know more about you @paul-3!

Dahlia Ambrose
                      Keymaster
                        @dahliaambrose
                        • Mobile Maestro Icon
                        • Member’s Pick Icon
                        • Throwdowner Icon
                        Allows Edits? Yes

You’re welcome Federico 🙂

bucweeet
                      Participant
                        @paul-3
                        • Contender Icon
                        Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you everyone for both taking the time to read my photographic journey and taking the time to respond!

Although I have several new endeavors I’m hoping to start, I also hoping to be more active with both my camera and LS.

Once again, thanx for taking the time!

JasenkaG
                        Participant
                          • https://instagram.com/the_queen_of_poppies
                          @jasenkag
                          • Contender Icon
                          • Photo of the Year Winner Icon
                          • Member’s Pick Icon
                          • Throwdowner Icon
                          Allows Edits? Yes

A great interview, very detailed! Thank you, Paul and Dahlia.

Dahlia Ambrose
                            Keymaster
                              @dahliaambrose
                              • Mobile Maestro Icon
                              • Member’s Pick Icon
                              • Throwdowner Icon
                              Allows Edits? Yes

You’re welcome Jasenka 🙂

Robert Apple
                              • https://www.instagram.com/robert.apple.98/
                              • https://photography667a.myportfolio.com/
                              @robertapple
                              • Mobile Maestro Icon
                              • Contender Icon
                              • Member’s Pick Icon
                              • Throwdowner Icon
                              Allows Edits? Yes

These are great, wonderful to learn more about our Lightstalking Freund’s.

Dave Watkins
                              Participant
                                @pentaxfan
                                • Contender Icon
                                • Member’s Pick Icon
                                Allows Edits? Yes

Enjoyed reading your interview Paul. Having recently retired myself I can relate to your answer to the ” What is your biggest challenge when it comes to photography?” question.  🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

Dahlia is one of the staff writers at Light Stalking and besides writing, she also responds to customer queries, schedules social media posts and helps with product development. Get to know her better here.