Hello there…..answering to a Trunk Call

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Hello there…..answering to a Trunk Call

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Lynne Guenther 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Charmaine Joubert
    Participant

I have just spent a few days in Addo Elephant Park. The days were unusually hot for winter but the upside to this is that the elephants love to come out and play. The waterholes dotted around the park were a hive of activity and I spent hours sitting and photographing their antics.

Below is one of the smallest baby elephants I have seen. The herd kept it hidden and protected by surrounding it but it would sneak a peek at me every now and then. 

Robert Apple

Great Shot Charmaine, damn it, shark tank,got nothing.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Great shot. Good model!
    ST, no comment. What were the SS, aperture and focal length on the shot?

Charmaine Joubert
      Participant

Hi Erik. Image was taken with a 400mm lens,  Aperture f7.1, 1/125 second SS and ISO 400. I should have upped my ISO to freeze the motion in the trunk and that would have given me more sharpness in the trunk.

Petr Nowak
    Participant

Great image. No comment…

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Wonderful picture! You are so lucky Charmaine… the things you get to see and experience.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

POTW I suspect. To be ST legal…maybe a twitch more space in the upper right corner plus some detail enhancement on the face and trunk. It could be a touch brighter as well. I’d show you but your profile says NO editing.

Lovely image Charmaine!

Charmaine Joubert
      Participant

Thanks for the crit….and I have changed my settings so edit away…..

Rob Eyers
        Participant

OK Charmaine here’s my take on it with a custom vignette added as well.

Charmaine Joubert
    Participant

Another photo of the little ellie but this time framed by mom and bathed beautiful lighting.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

This one really shows the contrast in size. Another great image.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Magnificent beasts and as Kent says, so lucky to have the opportunity to capture these animals outside of zoos. My only comment is a desire to see a slightly wider view in the first shot to add a touch more scale to it. It’s a desire I can deal with though because both shots are awesome.

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Personally, I was so taken by the eye and the mouth, I never really looked at the trunk in the first shot, so the blur issue ins’t really a thing. The second shot; just wow. I don’t see how either image could be better.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Very nice image, Charmaine, almost a monochrome!  The second one too.

Falxy
    Participant

captured the story and our hearts…………….good work! 🙂

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

So cute!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.