How to Fix OverExposed Image Quick

Latest Posts Photography Forums Landscape Photography How to Fix OverExposed Image Quick

This topic contains 23 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Wehage 7 months ago.

• Author

John Thompson

Here is an image that is obviously over exposed. In fact, it is one panel of a 6 panel HDR panorama. This is the +1EV shot

Over Exposed

To fix this duplicate the background layer (Ctrl-j) Change the blend mode of the added layer to multiply and it will give you this:

With Multiply

That is not bad for what amounts to 2 clicks.

Albirder
    Participant

i like it! Who needs a Photoshop E-book?

John Thompson

Investigating blend modes in PS can be rewarding. Thanks @albirder.

Tobie

Never tried this one @nikon-nut – something to file away in the memory banks! Not a shabby correction at all!

I usually hit the ‘Auto’ tone button in LR if my exposure is obviously out and then I manually adjust from there.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Never thought of this @nikon-nut. Layers are so useful and this will come in handy sometime. Thanks for posting.

Maybe when Rob @admin gets the time and starts adding forums he might consider a Post Processing Tips one.

StefB
    Participant

I used to only use duplicated layers, blending modes and luminosity masks to edit photos (i’m not so strict now anymore) and agree you learn a lot and go about anywhere with that. Good you pointed this out.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Cool tip, @nikon-nut, I’ve really got to start using photoshop …. you make it sound pretty easy, when you know how! I usually do the same as @tobiepsg, in LR.

John Thompson

Hi @tersha I have only been using PS for about a year. I signed up for the $24 per month deal they started with (I think it was 24). Now it is only $10 even I can afford that. I see that there are plenty of tutorials, presets etc now for LR. I took PS because if you had something you wanted to do and did not know how you could search for it and have all you need right there. LR is becoming that way. I use layers extensively and I do not think LR has that ability.

Tobie

LR does not lend itself towards layers at all @nikon-nut. That’s one of the reasons – as fantastic as LR is – why your PP toolbox will never be sufficient without PS.

MoonSong
    Participant

Fantastic tip! Thanks much.

treader286
    Participant

Hi @nikon-nut and @tersha – first thanks for that little tip. There are all kinds of great free tut’s about photoshop out there, and if you haven’t discovered them yet, check out actions. They are like lisp routines in autocad, or scripts that preform a series of tasks as a batch for you. There are all kinds of really interesting ones out there and free too. You can run them automatically and let the action do its thing or do the steps one click at a time and adjust to your liking as you go. You can also customize one to your own liking and save it as another action. Google photoshop actions.

Arthur
    Participant

Just to add a little more control. You can lower the opacity of the multiply layer if the result is too strong.

Sylvain
    Participant

Here we go learning again!

Great shot by the way!

kgrunt
    Participant

This is always a great way to reduce exposure exactly one stop with, as you say, 2 clicks. Use screen blending on an underexposed image to get one stop that way. As Arthur said, always an easy fine-tune as well. Love all the tips here.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Very nice tip!

Bugz
    Participant

Wish I had that functionality in the ‘free version’ of Picasa I’m running. Closest I can come to this function is to add “shadow”. I think I’ll have to buy Adobe. Would anybody recommend any version less than CS2? I may not be up to (or need) the Pro version.

Tobie

@bugz if you can afford it, use Adobe’s $9.99pm option for CC6. It implies that you stay up to date with the latest versions of both LR and PS – no need to buy anything else thereafter, unless you want to get fancy. They integrate perfectly (you could edit a shot in LR, then select an option to edit it in PS, after which PS automatically saves the edited version back into LR – without overwriting the LR version – from where you then create your .jpg. That’s what I do…).

Albirder
    Participant

The learning curve for both pieces of software is significant. Always start with LightRoom. @lburgess has recommended a free basic tutorial course on Lightroom. That post is in general chitchat. I struggled with Lightroom in the beginning because I could not get my head wrapped around the fact that it was a database with all that that meant. Once you learn it though, it is easy and fast. As far as Photoshop goes, I learn it on a need to know basis. I want to use the content aware tool? I get an Adobe tutorial find out how to do it, do it and then forget it! LP. (Lazy Photographer)

Jasonwili
    Participant

Thanks  for nice tip

Horatio Hadley
    Participant

John, would you please re-insert the example photographs?  Thank you.

John Thompson

Horatio I no longer have those photos as a result of a system crash.  You can try it with any over-exposed image though.  A further comment: Once you apply the “Multiply” layer you can add a layer mask and “Paint” the effect with various numbers of opacity in different areas.

Tobie

I no longer have those photos as a result of a system crash

A good reason to use flickr… 😉

Horatio Hadley
    Participant

Thank you so very much.  I will try your suggestion.  Basically, I am a pre-beginner at Lightroom and Photoshop.  Usually, I only crop.  But I am trying to practice and expand into these post-processing venues.

System crashes are one reason I use the Time Capsule.  It makes an exact copy of your computer and if your system crashes, you just create a new computer from the latest Time Capsule back-up.  It is an Apple product, but works well with any manufacturer’s computer.

Roger Wehage
    Participant

Back when Christ was in diapers I used to use Photoshop, but it has turned into an albatross. Now I’m learning Luminar and Affinity Photo. They don’t do everything Photoshop does, but they do many of them much slicker. Even Snapseed is fun.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.