I am offended at how offended you are about them being offended.

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat I am offended at how offended you are about them being offended.

This topic contains 39 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  beth 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

So today I posted a Facebook status update for Light Stalking’s photography FB page that read, “How was your weekend shooting? Post a shot to show us!”

And we received a complaint from somebody who was offended about us using the word, “shooting.”

The facepalm emoji just doesn’t cut it.

Dorothy
    Participant

LOL – Obviously that poor person forgot where they were.  Yep, face-palm is not enough.

Petr Nowak
    Participant

I’d like to say “LOL” or something like that. But imho the situation is overall (so not only this case) heading into hell… I’m afraid the war on hatespeech can slowly turn into war on anybody for anything. And that these people could demand to not to use word “shooting” even in photography meaning because its simply offending (for them). 🙁

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I guess they were “triggered” Rob. Too much tofu will do that to you. I hope you told them you were offended by their complaint. 🙂

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump.

Anonymous

It is amazing, how much people are “Offended” now days… Simple words, Shadow of a pointed finger that looks like the silhouette of a gun, Anything that has anything to do with religion and don’t ever refer to anything by a gender… Myself, I’m happily going around to see how many of those people I can piss off on any given day. I’ll talk sex, race, firearms, religion, Hell, I don’t smoke, but I may pull out a cigar just to wind somebody up. When they call me an asshole,.. I know I’m getting there. 😉 .. 🤦 .. Yep, I may be an Asshole.

John Thompson

In todays “Woke” society everyone is offended by anything!  It will eventually lead to the demise of western civilization and I do not think that is overstating the facts.  If you look at why Rome fell then you can see so many parallels with our society today.  Within 20 years you will not recognize society and it will not be for the better.  I will not be here then but most of you will be and I do not envy you.

Harvard, one of our leading universities, has banned single sex organizations.  ????  Plus, some of the papers coming out of Harvard have bordered on the absurd!  I could site examples but that is not the purpose of our website.  This is all part and parcel of everyone being offended by something and everything.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Rob, I’m sorry to say that this does not surprise me one bit. My first inclination was to suggest you make similar posts to stir the pot but that may end up getting you banned. Plenty more crazies where that one came from.

Robert Apple

Welcome to Facebook Rob, I was banned form a Facebook Photography Group for posting a photo of a bumper sticker I designed for the local gun club, during a contest to photograph why you love Wyoming, the US state that owns more firearms per capita then any other, they even went so far as to report me to Facebook and get my account locked. After some investigation I learned the Wyoming Photography Groups moderators were living in Oregon. And when I called Facebook to cancel my advertising plan for my business because they locked out my personal account, I was reinstated and got a $100 credit to my advertising account, I guess my money isn’t offensive.

beth
    Participant

this is what happens when you get rid of lead based paint, the weak survive and grow up to spread their stupidity and breed and pass their stupidity along to their offspring.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

LOL

Graham Hart
      Participant

LMAO!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

My reply seems so trivial now. Spot on Beth. Spot on.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

This is probably the best comment I have read in a while 😀  Kudos to you Beth!

Robert Apple

Agreed, when you mess with the natural order of mother nature she tends to slap back.

John Thompson

Great comment Beth.  From a guy who is part of the “No seatbelt” and “Steel dashboard” generation I agree!!!

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Jajajajajaja

Graham Hart
    Participant

They’d probably have a fit walking into a newsagency, what with all the ‘magazines’ in there! Definite heart attack material walking into a brewery with all those ‘barrels’. For God’s sake don’t use beef ‘stock’ in your soup and Roy Rogers’ horse Trigger should be banished from all records!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

That beach vacation was horrible!! There was sand everywhere….nobody told us there was going to be sand!

John Thompson

Rob I remember reading that somewhere and OMG really?  People have reached a level of stupid that resembles “The Onion” only it is reality!

chris pook
    Participant

Lol,  This is brilliant.  Well done. Beth.

Steve Walker
    Participant

Well, I am one who does think that words matter and have commented in various places (I don’t think in this post) that much of our photography language is hunting based: shoot, capture, take to use a few examples. SOME hunting seems more about making loud noises and testosterone based false pride than about a judicious activity.

The words don’t offend me but I wish we used a somewhat less violent set of words that are available, though clumsier. They also sometimes underplay the creative role of the photographer: “take” and “capture” both imply the image is simply sitting there, waiting to be picked up, rather than studied, selected and composed, more intentional acts that the usual term might indicate (even though much activity falls into that “snapshot” mode.

There is an opportunity for serious discussion of these sorts of ideas, though most and probably all social media undercuts and works against such thoughtful exchanges.

chris pook
      Participant

There is definitely a school of thought and discussion around making images rather than taking images.

Words represent ideas, and ideas matter.  When I’m bored I’ll enter into discussions on LinkedIn, just for entertainment, seeking to flag to the stupid and unwitting the idiocy of their views.  It’s my bad side coming out. But always done politely.  😉

I try to keep it simple and low key.  You know, un-emotive issues like religion, freedom, gun control etc.

John Thompson

Steve, I have NEVER, in my 75 years, thought of photography language as hunting based.  Until I moved to Las Vegas in 1978 I used to hunt and I never saw the parallels of my camera with a rifle.  Never.

Steve Walker
        Participant

That’s interesting, but probably shouldn’t be unexpected. Hunters almost certainly have a more detailed understanding of the term than non-hunters. For me, “shoot” definitely brings to mind guns. Take doesn’t. I think robbery sometimes or “steal a base” in baseball. Capture brings to mind cages rather than the framing of a scene as we snap a shutter button. I know I cringe when I hear someone say they are going to “shoot a wedding” or go for a “model shoot”.  Our personal experiences definitely affect our associations and, often, reinforce them.

Robert Apple

I was reading a photography book years ago talking about original camera design where when you set the flash you basically had a pistol grip mechanism with a trigger that stroke a flint which ignited the flash powder, you also looked down a rod with rifle sights mounted on it to aim the camera, sound familiar ? Original camera technology was very much like shooting a flintlock rifle and hence the terminology stemmed from that.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Robert Apple.

beth
        Participant

i once had a conversation with a coworker about going out shooting in the boondocks after work.  another coworker overheard us and asked what was wrong with the shooting range on site.  oops.

Graham Hart
    Participant

One thing for certain is that language evolves and changes. Used to be the F-bomb was completely taboo but now it’s as common as advertising on our TVs. The C-bomb has taken it’s place but is rapidly catching up.

I think Rob’s right about the origin of camera-speak. The ‘sight’ or ‘eyepiece’ is the link between image making and weaponry surely. Little wonder that the associated language was adopted too. Wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it, there’s more important crap to worry about. My team’s gonna miss the finals this year. SHIT!

[Note; I used the terms ‘f-bomb’ and ‘c-bomb’ so as not to offend. ‘Shit’ seems ok though?]

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Graham Hart.

Federico Alegria
    Participant

We are living among The Offended Generation mate!

chris pook
      Participant

This is what comes of caring to much I think.  Being offended would be futile if no one cared.  I was taught by some robust individuals that it’s all about; ‘Mind over matter… I don’t mind and you don’t matter’.

Btw… the analogy between photography, shooting and hunting.  I can see that.  It doesn’t offend me because I love all three.

The 4 marksmanship principles and gun safety could easily be amended for photography.

Michael Smith
    Participant

Hahahahhahahaha!
    This is so funny. I just feel people have become a bit too sensitive now a days. Some matters do require more attention than we used to give earlier, but some like these are just hilarious.

chris pook
      Participant

I resemble that remark!!

😉

chris pook
    Participant

British and Australian Army:

1. The position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon (camera)
    2. The weapon must point naturally at the target (subject) without undue physical effort.
    3. Sight alignment (Framing) and sight picture (composition) must be correct (pleasing).
    4. The shot (shutter) must be released and followed through without any undue physical disturbance to the position.

Good instruction for a sharp shot.  Hell!  I meant sharp photograph!!

Oh, gun safety…

’Be sure of the target and of what is beyond it’ = ‘Look at your subject, but know your background’.

I’m perhaps stretching this a bit!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Well I don’t think you’re stretching this at all.  This is sound advise in making the best shot possible. Whether with a weapon or camera in hand.

Preston
      Participant

I like the parallels Chris, and it’s definitely a recipe for a solid photograph.   More of a sportsman rather than military concept, but if you follow the 4 principles, might get something worth mounting on the wall.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Preston.

Robert Apple

With all this talk of the semantics of words used in photography and Steve’s mention of the use of the word “Take” and Graham’s mention of the word “Shit” it brings me to things I have pondered over the semantics of the words give and take.

“Take” is defined as To get into one’s hands, control, or possession, especially To grasp or grip.
    Reconcile that with the common phrase “I’m going to the rest room to take a shit”
    Ummm OK.

And the definition of “Give” To make a present of. To place in the hands of; pass.
    Examples “I give a shit”, or “I don’t Give a shit”
    My common responses to those phrases
    Well in the first case
    “No thanks, you can keep it. Hope that doesn’t offend you.”
    and in the second case
    “I’m sorry, Try a little more fiber in your Diet or better yet a Big Mac will do the job every time.”

Think about it.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

I agree we should end this thread with a smile. Here’s another that fits right in…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.