Icefields Parkway (panos are tough!)

Latest Posts Photography Forums Landscape Photography Icefields Parkway (panos are tough!)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  beth 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

LeanneC
    Participant

I don’t often post in landscape, though I do lurk here a lot and admire the scenery. I recently went on a vacation that took us through some pretty outstanding landscapes and I have been working through the images I took. I have realized how difficult it is to capture a great pano – hard to see the forest for the trees, as it were. I have a few that have been alright and most are “meh”. Here is a shot of the Icefield Parkway in Alberta. A route you should consider traveling if you like mountains, glaciers and emerald-coloured waters.

Icefields Parkway, Alberta

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Very nice pano Leanne.

That drive is one of the prettiest in Canada. I never get tired of it and it draws me back continually. You’ve made me want to go back and look at some of my old images of it. Wonderful to not see any smoke!!

LeanneC
      Participant

Aw, I loved looking at your pics, Rob. This has been a wonderfully smoke-free summer and we have taken advantage of every moment of it!

John Thompson

Great pano Leanne.  I love panos.  I even do panos on my up-close Joshua Tree pics.  They are 3 or four shots wide.  That way I can get close and still get all the tree in.

LeanneC
      Participant

Aw, so that is your secret, John! Thanks for sharing that. I have only just begun to explore panos. Lots of potential. Thanks for the kind comment.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

This is very beautiful Leanne. Looks like it was a perfect day for road trips 🙂

LeanneC
      Participant

Thanks Dahlia. The thing about the mountains is that the weather can change very quickly. An hour down the road it was pouring! But overall, the weather was pretty agreeable.

P71
    Participant

Nice crisp photo , nice share.

LeanneC
      Participant

Thanks so much, P71!

Frank
    Participant

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/gordonlightfoot/albertabound.html

Your photo gives a real sense of space and the rugged beauty of the mountains still with snow in the summer.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Frank.

LeanneC
      Participant

🙂 I grew up with Gordon Lightfoot, Frank. Brings back memories! The snow you are seeing in the image is the Crowfoot Glacier.

Thanks for your comment!

Graham Hart
    Participant

Nice pano Leanne. The road in the foreground helps to emphasise the scale and enormity of the mountain range in the background. Beautiful looking country.

LeanneC
      Participant

Thanks Graham! The parkway is 230 km in total. 3 hours of straight driving. But with sights like this, you have to stop frequently.

Steve Walker
    Participant

Had to open this on Flickr and enlarge it to get a real sense of the scene. Who’s the guy (?) on the left? The car coming into the frame gives an extra bit of perspective– more than the road or even the trees.

Panos are hard. Keeping each frame aligned so that crucial parts or not cropped out in post is harder than it looks.

LeanneC
      Participant

Thanks Steve. Left of frame, my oldest girl is taking a picture. I kept her in the shot for scale/perspective but I think, as you said, the car does that. I agree with your comment on the panos. I tried quite a few on this trip and the biggest issue I had was important elements getting cropped out in post. Lots of practice needed!

Steve Walker
        Participant

I do like the inclusion of your girl as well as the car. I usually use Lightroom to construct panos. There is a free program from Microsoft, developed for NASA, that does a really good job. It will stitch scenes together no matter what order you choose them in. I have also been told that we need to leave plenty of breathing room in the images to protect against loss of crucial elements. This is one reason why experts use lots of images using Portrait orientation to construct wide landscapes. I keep telling myself that but keep failing to do it, myself.

Rob Eyers
          Participant

Portrait is the only way to go Steve. An L bracket on your camera is almost a must.

Steve Walker
            Participant

And I need to practice swinging the camera level so as not to cut off pieces of the scene. Not as easy as I think it should be. Will the L bracket help with that?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Steve Walker.

Rob Eyers
            Participant

If you mount the L bracketed camera, in portrait mode, on a ball head that can be leveled and rotated your issue will be solved.

Steve Walker
            Participant

Thanks. I will have to get the ne.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I’m not sure if you saw the free panorama guide I wrote for Photzy Leanne. You may find something of interest in it.

How to Create Fantastic Panoramic Photographs

LeanneC
      Participant

Thanks Rob! I hadn’t seen that one. I will check it out for sure! I did shoot portrait but I am embarrassed to say I didn’t use the tripod for this one (I usually do) as it was all packed in with the camping gear and I was too lazy to get it out.

beth
    Participant

very pretty

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.