Itoh Peonies in evening light.

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Feedback Forum Itoh Peonies in evening light.

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6d, 6h ago by Frank.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Greg
      Participant

f/6.3, 1/1600, ISO = 400, FL = 46.0mm

beth
      Participant

gorgeous peony.  the light really shows off the layers of petals.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

This is gorgeous! You captured really well those delicate multi-layered petals.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Greg, the composition, the light and the details work really well. Loving the soft colours too 🙂

3pco
      Participant

It’s a beautiful peony (peonie?), but I disagree with everyone. I don’t like the shot.

The green leaves hanging down from the top are the only things in true focus. They draw my eye away from the flowers. I assume it was windy and that’s why you shot 1/1600, but your autofocus appears to have screwed you by glomming onto those leaves (this looks like a crop from a larger image in which they might have been more central), the back of the flower is very soft. I think the smaller flower at the bottom messes up your composition, as do the gree leaves hanging in front of the blossom, and I think the back of the main flower is too dark. I know you’re all on about the evening light, but a bit of flash would have frozen the motion and allowed more dof.

Okay, so I’m a curmudgeon.

• This reply was modified 1wk, 2d ago by 3pco.
        Greg
        Participant

3pco,

Oh, but you are an incredibly useful curmudgeon. Thanks for your input.

Greg
      Participant

Thanks for the input, Ladies. It’s far from perfect, as 3pco aptly points out, but this one made me feel good!

Yeah I would be looking for far softer light. Flowers struggle with direct light in photos.

Frank
      Participant

Wonderful petals and different hues of color of the flower, but the light is just too harsh, making the whites too blown out.  With full sun like this using a diffuser over the flower will make all the difference.

https://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=PRO4326&mfg=Promaster&show=yes

• This reply was modified 6d, 5h ago by Frank.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author