Lace Up

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  P71 6 days, 7 hours ago.

• Author

P71
    Participant

Shot this photo this morning and would very much appreciate some ST advice please.

Converted to B&W In Luminar 3

How to improve shots like this thank you.

1/100
    f/3.4 19.8mm
    ISO-125

Mistyisle
    Participant

Hi, P71, the man’s jacket seems to be blown out, not much detail at all.  Also, there seems to be strong blacks and whites, not much in-between.  I guess that you were aiming for a much subtler effect.  Someone, more experienced, than I, will comment, I feel sure, on your camera settings.

Have no experience with Luminar, but hear that it is one of the best DAMs.  Presume you were offered a variety of options for conversion to B&W – perhaps you selected one which is not optimum.  I always use Nik (Silver Efex) for my conversions to B&W, but then it particularly suits me.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hi, I pretty much agree with Mistyisle, the jacket looks blown out and I think the image has too much contrast. I would try to edit this in a more subtle way.

Mario
    Participant

Hello,

The best way to improve is to engage with your subject. Get in contact, talk and then take the photo.

Yes you can improve an the technical side but that is just a mean/tool for a higher purpose.

Photography is not neither about the object nor the photographer. It’s about their co-creation, the merging of the two into one. 🙂

All the best.

P71
    Participant

Hi all . thanking each of you for your feedback and advice , i can see the issues you mention now that they have been pointed out , i’ll keep practicing but very glad i posted and you gave me some good things to work on.

Much appreciated folks ;).

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  P71.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

The lines going from edge to edge are nice.  I like to see peoples faces but not so much the other end.  It feels crooked, if he is wearing jeans your processing is way over done.   The plants on the wall are a blob of black with no character.

P71
    Participant

Much thanks lenny , the plants are very bad agreed , his trousers are speckled soft cotton , my skills need much work and i thank you for your feedback mate.

This was the original for ref

@all – Please feel free to edit if you want same applies to any image i share – tis all good.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  P71.

Petr Nowak
    Participant

P71
      Participant

Very nice Petr , this is much much better and looks far cleaner , thank you for taking the time to edit Petr i can see a a massive difference and one i like 😉 .. the seat is so clean.

Thanks again everyone i appreciate the help.

Frank
    Participant

This is a tough one.    I found it hard to tone down the sweater away from being blown out.  Also the head is too close  in tone to the boards behind it, so that it is hard to get separation from it.  In other words, I had trouble getting the head to stand out.  Tried to give it an “orton glow”.

P71
    Participant

Nice one frank , good to see other peoples way of doing things .. nice one and good job.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Hi P71, I am not sure what attracts you in this image. Honestly, I don’t quite see it. But since you posted it in the ST, we work with that.
    I would also clean some of the leaves around his head a little. It doesn’t save the day…

P71
    Participant

Hi Erik ,

Thanks very much for posting your edit and your feedback much appreciated mate , in all honesty i am with you not much going on in this , inexperienced and eager to try ;).

Appreciate your comments as ever and thank you for having a look in Erik.

Falxy
    Participant

Hi P71………..yeah your original is overprocessed,overblown and too me,could be cropped better.

unlike comments from others…I like it…..why………cus you have the imagination to capture something different from the norm…………for that i salute you! 🙂

Graham Hart
    Participant

I’m in the ‘not interesting enough’ camp myself but I do think that your original crop is better because of this. When cropped, the lack of sufficient interest is amplified even more because the focus on the man’s back is intensified. With your original wide crop, he becomes more of an element than a focus. Now if only he had a dog sitting patiently waiting for him to get his act together…..

P71
    Participant

Thanks Falxy , Graham for the comments much appreciated , i hate making excuses but i want to get myself a smaller camera for street / people photos because at the moment i am using a telephoto that is big and bulky and when i point it at people or situations unfolding i feel intimidated simply because i know it so obvious and i am always waiting on confrontation .. this never allows me to relax and i end up with the back of heads or half baked shots.

P71
    Participant

I went for another try , hope these look more appealing.

Frank
    Participant

Lower left….there will be many variations of the story this image tells!

P71
    Participant

Indeed 😉 , thanks for looking mate.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

I agree with Frank.  Lower left.  The guy with the dog has a posed caught in the headlights look.  The two guys on bikes are, well,  boring.  Three of the photos are of rear ends again.  Faces add interest and personality.

P71
    Participant

Hi Lenny , thank you for the feedback and looking 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.