Lake Matheson

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Rob Eyers
      Participant

The west coast of New Zealand’s South Island can be windy and wet. Lake Matheson is well known for its reflections on evenings that are clear and calm which are not that frequent. Although it’s and image that has been taken many times I had it on my photo list. We got lucky on our second day in the area.

After a 30 minute walk in from the parking lot there’s a view point. It always helps to use a planning app in order to arrive at the right time. After sunset on the way out I passed several people rushing from the parking lot with cameras but the light was gone.

Lake Matheson - Fox Glacier

Patrick
      Participant

You knocked this one outta the park mate , love everything i see the still water is like a plate of glass , gorgeous photo Rob thanks for posting ;).

3pco
      Participant

Isn’t it wonderful when mother nature cooperates? You really nailed both the shot and the PP, esp. the shadows in the trees.  Beautiful.

Rob Eyers
        Participant

Sometimes we get lucky 3pco. Thanks.

Jasenka G
      Participant

Very peaceful and the mirror effect is perfect!

Rob Eyers
        Participant

It was a lovely spot to soak in Jasenka.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Love this reflection photo Rob 🙂

Tom M
      Participant

Excellent Rob. Is it a pano ?

Rob Eyers
        Participant

Thanks Tom. It’s not a pano but I did layer two different images to control noise in the darker areas. Took it at 24mm.

Frogdaily
      Participant

Absolutely Stunning Rob!

beth
      Participant

beautiful, the perfect mirror reflection and something interesting to reflect too.

Rob Eyers
        Participant

It is a well known spot and I agree that it’s an interesting subject Beth. Thanks for commenting.

John Thompson

Well done Rob!!  Great subject and great photo.  You do get around don’t you??

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Beautiful, Rob.    I love the painterly feel this has, which I feel is often hard to capture.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Great capture Rob!

Tobie

Perfect spot and begging for a shot, no matter how many times it had been done before (even by yourself) @reyers! Well done and TFS!

Rob Eyers
        Participant

Thanks Tobie. There’s a reason why these spots are well known. It’s always a treat to be there in person and take home a memory.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beautiful pic Rob and what a perfect scene mother nature provided with symmetrical tree lines and the mountains in the centre. Hope you pissed the other tourists off and lobbed a big rock into the lake as you were leaving?

Rob Eyers
        Participant

Thanks Graham. Funny you mention being a little shit and disturbing the other tourists. In fact everyone was being very respectful. Anyone talking was doing so in a very quiet whisper. The silence added to the peacefulness as we all enjoyed the moment together.

Joanne Van Praag
      Participant

WOW

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Pristine image Rob. Just incredible! Worth every bit of the planning and the walk!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author