Lake Reflection

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Graham Hart
      Participant

Took a long drive to a popular wetland today with the intent of photographing some blue fairy wrens which are found there. They’re extremely skittish and don’t stay still for long so I was pleased to actually see about three of the little fellers during my walk. Thought I’d have a go using Shutter priority which I haven’t really practiced before. I set my shutter speed at 1/1500 sec (or so I thought) and snapped away. When I got home and began editing, PS was telling me that the shutter speed was 1/20 sec and subsequently my pics were blurry and crap. I think its because I just switched to Tv before checking what my shutter speed was set at even though I seemed to be able to change it whilst in Tv? Back to the books for me. Damn!

At least I got some landscape shots out of the trip.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Graham, sorry to hear about that. I think you need to put your camera on Shutter priority mode and then set the shutter speed. I just googled the “blue fairy wrens” and they look cute.

Wetlands are great places to shoot birds. Hopefully you get to photograph them during your next visit 🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Dahlia. I was SOOOO disappointed. Not only at missing the shots but more so at my stupidity in not checking my shots after I took them. I’m still unsure what I did wrong because as I said, I had no trouble adjusting the shutter speed whilst in Tv mode and I always kept it no slower than 1/1000th sec. Think I need more backyard practice with my camera!

ElinL
      Participant

You are not alone Graham, if that is any consolation.  I have done the same mistake more than once when shooting birds, why I always shoot fully manual to be certain. But you certainly got a very lovely shot out of your trip.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Elin. Might take a leaf out of your book and go full manual next time. At least then I know what’s going on exif-wise 🙁

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Very nice Graham. Darn birds, huh? for me, they always take off or keep their backs to me. that’s why I like landscapes. They don’t move…much.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Bruce. I was of the same mind for a long time but after seeing so many wonderful images of birds here in LS I have developed an urge to try my hand at it. If at first you don’t succeed…….:)

Beaky
      Participant

Haha don’t feel to bad mate, something I do all the time! Had a big Gwarda, a Western Brown snake move into a bush near me and his tail was out a bit, so I pulled him out so I could get some good shots. Only to find out I was so excited that I din’t change the settings 🙁

Worthy shot mate, Love the reflection in the water.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Beaky. Bloody hell, a Western Brown!@#$%&*!? Never mind the settings, I’d be  changing my pants if I saw one of those nearby.

Joanne Van Praag
      Participant

What you missed with the birds you certainly made up with this image – the sky reflection is gorgeous – fab xx

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Joanne. All was not lost I suppose 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author