Landscape Too busy?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Jay Ward
      Participant

I’ve been playing with a 14-30mm lens, at the 14mm end. No crops. I like this image, but it strikes me as too busy. Thoughts?Zen Garden path

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Jay, I like the lush green colours. I think the image needs a focal point. The fence acts like leading lines, maybe have a subject in there to make it more interesting 🙂

beth
      Participant

yes and no.  the left side is fantastic, you’ve got fencing and a bench and even a stand of bamboo pointing the viewer down the path.  on the right side it all kinda falls apart.  there’s a semi circle going nowhere, a couple of rocks that draw the eye away (one’s half cut off by the edge) and some really dark shadows and dead leaves.

try a square crop focusing on the center and left side.

Greg
      Participant

I agree with what has basically been said: Fantastic background waiting for a subject.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Since the landscape is your subject, it needs a focal point. A scene such as this would often photograph with more depth if it were not midday sun.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Hello Jay, I don’t think the image is too busy but maybe it’s a bit too sharp because of HDR-style processing. I suppose the image would look lighter if it were processed in a different way, with less sharpening.

Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

I don’t think the image is too busy per se, but I would dial back the editing and possibly consider where I want people to look? The fence could be interesting on that count.

Jay Ward
      Participant

I went back and pulled the original NEF for this image. All that was done here is to add an exposure gradient to the right hand side to lighten the zen garden on the right side of the photo. No other processing. You’re right, it has an HDR look to it, but it came out of the camera that way.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Hey Jay; I recently added a similar focal length lens; it has now become my go-to lens for landscape photos. Work it! You will love the results, as you get used to its capabilities.

Jay Ward
      Participant

Thanks Bruce, I’ve left it on the body as my standard lens, just for that purpose. Now if it would stop raining.

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

Weather is the bane of our existence…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author