Latest IR Image

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      John Thompson

Nothing special I am learning how to put specific colors into my IR photos.  What I have found out is that I need to take better IR images to have the final product look decent!!  Whoa….

The colors are rather drab but I am learning.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Looking good John, I guess you’re using PS? I’ll be picking your brains!

John Thompson

Yes.  I have learned a lot in photoshop trying to make my Ir images look decent.  I am at you service!

Robert Apple

Looks like your visiting Whoville John.

John Thompson

I have realized that composition in IR photography is so important otherwise you have a bad photo with crazy colors.  I know that sounds like a dumb comment but what I have found out is you really need to search for a good photo prospect.  Things are so different in IR than they are in normal color spectrum.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Hi John, that looks like a fun experiment! Those colors you chose remind me of cotton candy 🙂

John Thompson

It has been fun but it also has been frustrating.  Now my challenge is to get better pics to work with.  The IR world is so different!

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

This looks like a painting. Love the colours John 🙂

John Thompson

Thank you Dahlia.  I am not sure I can get a nice photo of the desert in IR.  There is to much gray and I am having problems changing the colors from gray.  I am not one to give up though.

beth
      Participant

straight outta my favorite dr. seuss book.  love all of the cotton candy colors in the trees.

John Thompson

Thanks Beth.  I am learning how to get multiple colors like this on one pic.  As I stated above, the desert and the mountains are too neutral in IR and there is my sticking point right now.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

I’ve never shot IR, John.   what a great project.   Do you have a special camera or have you gotten started with a filter on your regular camera?   Re the image above, how does it look without the pink?  With only the more muted colors on left and center?   Have fun!

John Thompson

Hi Anne!  I had a Nikon D300 converted to 590nm filter.  This lets in a bit of visible color and the rest is IR.  It is called the “Super Color” filter but I might argue with that.  It the pic above the yellowish brown you see in the background is what most of the foliage looks like after setting WB and swapping the red and blue channels.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.