Lens AF Calibration

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Beaky
      Participant

This something I have only just found out about! Being able to calibrate my lenses to my Camera. I have watched a few Youtube vids and now understand why some of my shots have been just out a bit. Its been frustrating when you think you have got the shot of your life just to blow it up on the computer screen to find out its just a smige out of focus.

We have absolutely terrible weather going on, so I have started calibrating the AF on my lenses and I am blown away by how much some of them are out.

Its a simple process and time consuming, but I am enjoying it. It might pay to look into this if you are finding that you are not getting the crisp shot you thought you were.

Its also good just to marry that lens to your camera.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I agree that this is time consuming but worthwhile Beaky.

I’ve been using a software product called FoCal Pro from Reikan for several years. Having a lens AF microadjusted certainly increases your keepers. The FoCal Pro product also compares your lens to other samples via an active online database. It lets you know if your sample is within reasonable tolerances and how repeatable the focus is. It’ll also check to see what aperture is the sharpest, checks for dust spots and checks mutiple focus points. So far it only works with Canon and Nikon with AF adjustment.

Sorry about the commercial. I’m just a happy user.

Patrick
      Participant

If have yet to do my own lens but i remember watching this before i bought it , this guy made things seem very quick to sort out ( for 1 lens ) i dare say i will need to do this also good topic Beaky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReC-xnYPX3Q

Beaky
      Participant

@reyers thanks Rob for sharing that info, I will have a look at that software. I have Canon and Sigma lenses. I use the Sigma USB dock & Sigma optimisation Pro software, for my Sigma lenses and in camera for the canon lenses. I was going to let @patrickw know it will be a good investment for his new lens. Thanks for the link Pat.

Patrick
        Participant

Thanks so much mate i will get on to it for sure , i will be in the local camera shop at the end of the month and i will grab a usb dock while there , you are certainly right about it being a job worth doing and like Graham said this topic is the push i needed to get it done ..cheers pal 😉

Graham Hart
      Participant

Would you believe I bought that calibrating card a couple of weeks ago. It been sitting on the shelf since. You’ve spurred me on to get calibrating. Thanks Beaky.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

I think I need to try this out…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author