Lighting test

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Sarthak Choudhary 1 week ago.

• Author

Testing the very affordable Neewer Vision 4 Studio monobloc with some water drop collisions. Not too bad @ 1/10,000 second flash duration.

P7080184

P7080187

P7080230

P7080207

Does not suck.

John Thompson

The last one is my favorite.  It is almost like a sculpture.  Very nice David.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

The images are great and I love the last two David 🙂

P71
    Participant

Neewer have tons of products they seem cover everything at ok prices as well , love the  pictures David , i like them all ;).

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi David: Amazing, so that’s 1/10,000 of a second flash, does that mean that is what your shutter speed was as well (because obviously a very fast shutter speed is needed to catch the water drops) or is it even possible to have a shutter speed different than a flash speed? and if that is possible how would that affect a shot? (or is that a naive question that doesn’t make logical sense?) and what about the aperture and iso? (btw the second one is my favorite) just curious about your settings.

Thanks all.

Dorothy – all good questions. The shutter speed is indeed different to the flash speed. This flash syncs with my camera at 1/125 sec, though I was using 1/80 for reasons unknown. It was shot in a moderately lit room, you really are relying on the flash speed to freeze the action. 1/10,000 second is really as slow as you’d want to shoot for these and there is a little motion blur, but that may be the 1/80 sec shutter speed as well.

my Jinbei lights go down to 1/19,000 sec which is great, and my speedlights shoot at 1/32,000 sec. the ability to use studio lighting for high speed shots like this is really new – and I only know of 4 that can be used this way.

Hope that answers the questions.

David

Dorothy
      Participant

Thanks David. 👍

Frogdaily
    Participant

Interesting experiment with the flash … love the texture you got in the last drop

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

looks like mushroom clouds.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.